From: sgopus on
Please tell your grandpa, not to keep ANYTHING that he values on the
computer, as the rule is, it's not a matter of if it will fail, but a matter
of when.
If a picture is treasured, then print it out and put it in a safe place.
Same thing with documents, all things electronic will fail at some point,
even backups, plan accordingly.

From: Daave on
Inline.

Jack Bostick wrote:
> i WAS TRING TO INSTALL AN ANTIVURUS

Why were you doing this? To fix a particular problem? If so, what was
the problem?

What is the name of the AV program you were trying to install?

Did you successfully install it?

> on my dads computer and when it
> started it said makeing a restore point.

When what started? The AV program? The PC (presumably a reboot)? What
said "making a restore point"? What do you mean? Did you perchance run
Windows System Restore. We need more information! Your post is unclear.

> Somehow it restore back to
> 2003,

What restored what back to 2003? What does that mean?

> and no restore points before the 13th not even the one that it
> made when i was instaaling program, HELP, dads nnot to pleased with
> me and i am 1.5 hrs away

Take a deep breath and post back with the details we need. What is the
make and model of the PC? What are its specs? How large of a hard drive
and how much free space? Which version of XP and which Service Pack
Level? Patched with the latest Windows security updates? What is the
history of this PC, especially with respect to malware?

Which AV/security programs were or are installed on this PC? Were
McAfee, Norton, or Zone Alarm products ever installed?

The more complete your information is, the faster we can identify and
suggest a fix for your problem.