From: Huub on
Hi,

My MySQL/file/printer server is running Slack 12. Currently I'm
experiencing returning printer problems (printer suddenly on pause,
giving garbage, unable to connect to the printerserver (lprng), unable to
remove printjobs from queue). Now I read that in Slack 13, lprng has been
replaced by cups. All my other computers (*nix desktops) run cups to
connect to the printerserver.
Apart from this, I have no problems with Slack 12. I assume that Slack 13
has many improvements and consider an upgrade to 13. Can somebody
recommend a way to upgrade the server?

Thank you for helping out.

From: Giovanni on
On 06/04/10 16:51, Huub wrote:

> My MySQL/file/printer server is running Slack 12. Currently I'm
> experiencing returning printer problems (printer suddenly on pause,
> giving garbage, unable to connect to the printerserver (lprng), unable to
> remove printjobs from queue). Now I read that in Slack 13, lprng has been
> replaced by cups. All my other computers (*nix desktops) run cups to
> connect to the printerserver.
> Apart from this, I have no problems with Slack 12. I assume that Slack 13
> has many improvements and consider an upgrade to 13. Can somebody
> recommend a way to upgrade the server?

I do updates as recommended in UPGRADES.txt with no problems.

Have you verified the printer? I had problems with a printer that
started with an erratic behavior till it died. Fortunately it had
also an USB input and switching to it the printer continued to work
correctly.

CUPS is also available on 12.0 so you can try if the problem is the
hardware.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
From: William Hunt on
On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Huub wrote:
> Hi,
> My MySQL/file/printer server is running Slack 12. Currently I'm
> experiencing returning printer problems (printer suddenly on pause,
> giving garbage, unable to connect to the printerserver (lprng), unable to
> remove printjobs from queue). Now I read that in Slack 13, lprng has been
> replaced by cups. All my other computers (*nix desktops) run cups to
> connect to the printerserver.
> Apart from this, I have no problems with Slack 12. I assume that Slack 13
> has many improvements and consider an upgrade to 13. Can somebody
> recommend a way to upgrade the server?
> Thank you for helping out.

This sounds like an intermittent hardware/communication problem,
not software. The garbage occurs when the failure causes the
printer to reset, during which some data is lost, and when the
printer continues it picks up in the middle of a data stream
which comes out as psuedorandom garbage.

Intermittent hardware problems are always the hardest to diagnose.

First thing to check is connections between hardware
and cables - i suspect a dirty or corroded connection - which the
oldstyle parrallel printer cables are particularly susceptible to
due to their many contacts.

Another likely failure point is between the wires on the cable and
the connectors on the cable - ie., broken cable. Other failures
could be the server's I/O interface, or within the printer itself.

Diagnostic procedure would be to replace components until
the problem magically disappears, eg., first: clean cable and
connectors; second: replace cable; third: replace printer;
fourth: replace server I/O.

Although I think a cable problem is most likely, my hunch is
that your printer is the culprit here.

Good Luck, HTH, praise Bob.

--
William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA