From: root on
I use nail to send/read email. I have come
across a problem which may have been around
for some time. The problem affects my outgoing
mail when I respond to an incoming message.
Here is what I see in the header of the
outgoing message:

by mx.google.com with ESMTP id b4si731591vci.23.2010.06.03.13.25.08;
Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: fail (google.com: domain of root(a)cc.home.org does not designate 216.33.127.81...

I believe the Return-Path: entry is supplied
by sendmail which is taking my login name and
my local domain name, neither of which has
anything to do with my email stuff. The result
is that, when the SPF line is checked by some
sites, my response is deleted.

I would appreciate any suggestions
to correct the problem.
From: Grant on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:45:35 +0000 (UTC), root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

>I use nail to send/read email. I have come
>across a problem which may have been around
>for some time. The problem affects my outgoing
>mail when I respond to an incoming message.
>Here is what I see in the header of the
>outgoing message:

> by mx.google.com with ESMTP id b4si731591vci.23.2010.06.03.13.25.08;
> Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
>Received-SPF: fail (google.com: domain of root(a)cc.home.org does not designate 216.33.127.81...

~$ host cc.home.org
cc.home.org has address 127.0.0.1
cc.home.org mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.

Hmm, not what you expected? ;) Do you have any connection with
gradwell.net or gradwell.com?

>I believe the Return-Path: entry is supplied
>by sendmail which is taking my login name and
>my local domain name, neither of which has
>anything to do with my email stuff. The result
>is that, when the SPF line is checked by some
>sites, my response is deleted.
>
>I would appreciate any suggestions
>to correct the problem.

If you don't control home.org, stop using it. Register your very own
domain and life will get a bit simpler... 'Snot expensive, and you can
have fun choosing names too.

My email above is valid, no reason to munge email addr, effective spam
filtering is available, I see less than 1% spam, that's with several
hundred emails per day on a public address (lkml), along with Usenet and
other small lists.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: root on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:45:35 +0000 (UTC), root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
>
>>I use nail to send/read email. I have come
>>across a problem which may have been around
>>for some time. The problem affects my outgoing
>>mail when I respond to an incoming message.
>>Here is what I see in the header of the
>>outgoing message:

>> by mx.google.com with ESMTP id b4si731591vci.23.2010.06.03.13.25.08;
>> Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
>>Received-SPF: fail (google.com: domain of root(a)cc.home.org does not designate 216.33.127.81...
>
> ~$ host cc.home.org
> cc.home.org has address 127.0.0.1
> cc.home.org mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.
>
> Hmm, not what you expected? ;) Do you have any connection with
> gradwell.net or gradwell.com?
>>
>>I believe the Return-Path: entry is supplied
>>by sendmail which is taking my login name and
>>my local domain name, neither of which has
>>anything to do with my email stuff. The result
>>is that, when the SPF line is checked by some
>>sites, my response is deleted.
>>
>>I would appreciate any suggestions
>>to correct the problem.
>
> If you don't control home.org, stop using it. Register your very own
> domain and life will get a bit simpler... 'Snot expensive, and you can
> have fun choosing names too.
>

> My email above is valid, no reason to munge email addr, effective spam
> filtering is available, I see less than 1% spam, that's with several
> hundred emails per day on a public address (lkml), along with Usenet and
> other small lists.
>
> Grant.

I may have been using home.org longer than the official site.
Regardless, that proved not to be the source of the trouble.
It turns out there is more to Nail than revealed by
man nail. There is a mode of operation smtp-auth that
gets around the problem. BTW, I have changed my domain
to one that isn't in use, and I apologize to
Mssrs Gradwell for any trouble I may have caused them
over the past 30 years or so.

From: Grant on
On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 01:22:29 +0000 (UTC), root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

>Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:45:35 +0000 (UTC), root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
>>
>>>I use nail to send/read email. I have come
>>>across a problem which may have been around
>>>for some time. The problem affects my outgoing
>>>mail when I respond to an incoming message.
>>>Here is what I see in the header of the
>>>outgoing message:

>>> by mx.google.com with ESMTP id b4si731591vci.23.2010.06.03.13.25.08;
>>> Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
>>>Received-SPF: fail (google.com: domain of root(a)cc.home.org does not designate 216.33.127.81...
>>
>> ~$ host cc.home.org
>> cc.home.org has address 127.0.0.1
>> cc.home.org mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.
>>
>> Hmm, not what you expected? ;) Do you have any connection with
>> gradwell.net or gradwell.com?
>>>
>>>I believe the Return-Path: entry is supplied
>>>by sendmail which is taking my login name and
>>>my local domain name, neither of which has
>>>anything to do with my email stuff. The result
>>>is that, when the SPF line is checked by some
>>>sites, my response is deleted.
>>>
>>>I would appreciate any suggestions
>>>to correct the problem.
>>
>> If you don't control home.org, stop using it. Register your very own
>> domain and life will get a bit simpler... 'Snot expensive, and you can
>> have fun choosing names too.
>>

>> My email above is valid, no reason to munge email addr, effective spam
>> filtering is available, I see less than 1% spam, that's with several
>> hundred emails per day on a public address (lkml), along with Usenet and
>> other small lists.
>>
>> Grant.
>
>I may have been using home.org longer than the official site.

Might've one of those names you could sell for a fortune ;)

>Regardless, that proved not to be the source of the trouble.
>It turns out there is more to Nail than revealed by
>man nail. There is a mode of operation smtp-auth that
>gets around the problem. BTW, I have changed my domain
>to one that isn't in use, and I apologize to
>Mssrs Gradwell for any trouble I may have caused them
>over the past 30 years or so.

I only looked it up to see if it match the IP you quoted :)

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Martijn Dekker on
In article <hu949f$7rn$1(a)news.albasani.net>, root <NoEMail(a)home.org>
wrote:

> I believe the Return-Path: entry is supplied
> by sendmail which is taking my login name and
> my local domain name, neither of which has
> anything to do with my email stuff. The result
> is that, when the SPF line is checked by some
> sites, my response is deleted.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions
> to correct the problem.

The simplest solution would be to set your local hostname to reflect
your actual email domain name.

If you don't want to do that, you need to set the domain name in
sendmail itself. Copy /usr/share/cf/cf/sendmail-slackware.mc to a new
file, e.g. sendmail-myconfig.mc (or it will get overwritten on the next
package upgrade), then edit the copy, adding the following line:

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `example.org')dnl

(where you change "example.org" to your own valid email domain name,
obviously). Add the same line to a copy of the submit.mc file. I'll
assume the copy is named submit-myconfig.mc. Then build .cf files out of
the custom .mc files, and install them in /etc/mail, like this:

cd /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf
../Build sendmail-myconfig.mc submit-myconfig.mc
cat sendmail-myconfig.cf > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
cat submit-myconfig.cf > /etc/mail/submit.cf
/etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail restart

That should do it. Good luck.

To verify, do 'telnet localhost 25' and check if sendmail greets you
with your correct email domain name.

- Martijn (NL)