From: Chick Tower on
On 2010-06-04, Martijn Dekker <martijn(a)inlv.demon.nl> wrote:
> cat sendmail-myconfig.cf > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> cat submit-myconfig.cf > /etc/mail/submit.cf

Why are you redirecting the output of cat instead of copying the files,
Martijn? (I'm not being critical, just wondering if there's a problem
with cp or an advantage with cat.)
--
Chick Tower

For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net
From: Martijn Dekker on
In article <huf0n2$oad$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
Chick Tower <c.tower(a)deadspam.com> wrote:

> On 2010-06-04, Martijn Dekker <martijn(a)inlv.demon.nl> wrote:
> > cat sendmail-myconfig.cf > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> > cat submit-myconfig.cf > /etc/mail/submit.cf
>
> Why are you redirecting the output of cat instead of copying the files,
> Martijn? (I'm not being critical, just wondering if there's a problem
> with cp or an advantage with cat.)

It's pretty much equivalent, really. The minor difference is that, by
redirecting the output of 'cat', you guarantee the permission settings
of the old destination file are not changed, or that a new destination
file is created with default permissions.

- Martijn