From: Green Biro on
Thanks for your reply.

I thought about that but the queries are quite complex with sub queries and
calculated fields and to join them all together and filter out duplicates
would be a bit of a nightmare. I've thus gone for the simpler temp table
solution suggested by Arvin.

Thanks again for your interest.

GB

From: Green Biro on
Thank you for the reply.

I'll look into this paper to increase my knowledge but I think that in my
case I know where the bottleneck is caused (viz the need to keep rerunning
the queries).

For this relatively small scale project, it makes more sense just to create
a temp table as per Arvin's suggestion.

"Tom Wickerath" <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
> Hi GB,
>
> I would try to identify the bottleneck, to see if a particular query or
> subquery can be re-written in a more efficient manner. You might want to
> have
> a look at this document:
>
> Implementing a Successful Multiuser Access/JET Application
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/articles/multiuser.htm
>
> Many of the tips are useful even for single-user applications. Make sure
> check out the two sections:
>
> Use indexes
> and
> Use JETSHOWPLAN
>
> The JetShowPlan capability will not help you optimize subqueries, but can
> certainly help reveal table scans that may be occuring on large tables.
> (Don't worry too much about table scans performed against relativly small
> tables, as this might be the most efficient query plan).
>
> Also, do any of the queries that support your report (or subreport)
> include
> a domain aggregrate function?
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
>
> "Green Biro" wrote:
>
>> I have designed a report based on student.
>>
>> For each student I need a number of sub reports run, some of which return
>> more than one record.
>>
>> This works fine except for the fact that it is very slow, presumably
>> because
>> the sub reports are being run once for each student and some of them are
>> quite complicated involving calculated fields and subqueries.
>>
>> This seems inefficient to me. Is there some way I can get the sub report
>> queries to run just once at the outset and somehow 'cache' the data so
>> that
>> a filtered version of it can be shown for each student.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> GB

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: What does this mean: MSysCompactError
Next: test