From: annily on
Ned Latham wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> Ned Latham wrote:
>
> ----snip----

>>> Two things:
>>>
>>> 1. Dictionaries describe popular use of words. They do not prescribe
>>> them definitively.
>>>
>>> And this is not about "definitions" arrived at by accepting misuses
>>> of words. This is about what democracy really is.
>>>
>>> (In case you're interested, democracy was invented, and "democracy"
>>> was coined, 2,620 years ago, in Athens.)
>> What the Ancient Greeks called democracy is irrelevant.
>
> Wrong. They who invented it are the ones who get to define it.

Apparently you don't accept that words change their meaning over time,
unlike realists.

>> If you want to
>> win an argument legitimately, you have to use what is understood by the
>> word now,
>
> You can eat your weaselling words. I am using the accepted meaning in
> terms of politcial science

I am not a political scientst, so I will use the widely accepted meaning
of the term.

> I repeat: this is not about "definitions" arrived at by accepting misuses
> of words.

It is not misuse, it's a widely-accepted current use.

>>> Wrong. It is de'mokruhsee.
>> Not in Australia.
>
> Wrong. *I* am Australian.

And you're probably one of a small number of Australians who rhyme the
first vowel with that in "bet".

> What is democratic about the power of the Attorney-General
> to order the spooks to make anyone he chooses disappear?

With your definition of "democracy", nothing.

So to sum up, with your definition of democracy, Australia is not one.
With mine, and that of many others, it is.

Hence, no further point in arguing. Goodbye.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: Ned Latham on

----snip----

> > > What the Ancient Greeks called democracy is irrelevant.
> >
> > Wrong. They who invented it are the ones who get to define it.
>
> Apparently you don't accept that words change their meaning over time,
> unlike realists.

With some intelligence and research, you might possibly have come to a
*correct* conclusion. The system that is alleged to be operating in
Australia is called "representative democracy". In common parlance,
and in propaganda, that is shortened to "democracy", but that doesn't
make "democracy" an accurate description of it, especially in debate.

> > > If you
> > > want to win an argument legitimately, you have to use what is
> > > understood by the word now,
> >
> > You can eat your weaselling words. I am using the accepted meaning in
> > terms of politcial science,
> * which is appropriate given that the subject
> * is political; there is no good reason to replace that firm definition
> * with a local misunderstanding of the term.

Your surreptitious snip is restored, weasel.

> I am not a political scientst, so I will use the widely accepted meaning
> of the term.

Answer the point made, you weasel: yhe subject and the forum both make
the *precise* definition appropriate, and the "widely accepted" misuse
inappropriate.

> > I repeat: this is not about "definitions" arrived at by accepting
> > misuses of words.
>
> It is not misuse, it's a widely-accepted current use.

Wide accepteance does not undo the fact that it is a misuse. And
FYI, it's no accidental misuse: it was deliberately engendered for
the purpose of masking the reality, which is oligarchic tyranny.

> > > Not in Australia.
> >
> > Wrong. *I* am Australian.
>
> And you're probably one of a small number

Small number? When did you conduct your survey?

> of Australians who rhyme the
> first vowel with that in "bet".

So you admit that it *is* current in Australia.

More surreptitious snippage, I see. Not too good at honesty or facing
a challenge, are you?

> > What is democratic about the power of the Attorney-General
> > to order the spooks to make anyone he chooses disappear?
>
> With your definition of "democracy", nothing.

Correct. Also with your definition. In fact, it's pure tyranny.

But you won't face that.

> So to sum up, with your definition of democracy, Australia is not one.

Correct. Also with yours, had you the wherewithal to see it.

> With mine, and that of many others, it is.

Wrong. Perhaps you're unaware that the practise does not follow the
theory. It is the practise that justifies the terms "tyranny" and
"elective oligarchy".

> Hence, no further point in arguing. Goodbye.

Larf. You have no argument, just your gullible acceptance of propaganda.

I told you: the establishment and their media whores lies to us about
everything.

Ned Latham
From: annily on
Ned Latham wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> Ned Latham wrote:
>
> ----snip----

>>> Wrong. They who invented it are the ones who get to define it.
>> Apparently you don't accept that words change their meaning over time,
>> unlike realists.
>
> With some intelligence and research, you might possibly have come to a
> *correct* conclusion. The system that is alleged to be operating in
> Australia is called "representative democracy". In common parlance,
> and in propaganda, that is shortened to "democracy", but that doesn't
> make "democracy" an accurate description of it, especially in debate.

>>> You can eat your weaselling words. I am using the accepted meaning in
>>> terms of politcial science,
>> * which is appropriate given that the subject
>> * is political; there is no good reason to replace that firm definition
>> * with a local misunderstanding of the term.
>
> Your surreptitious snip is restored, weasel.
>
>> I am not a political scientst, so I will use the widely accepted meaning
>> of the term.
>
> Answer the point made, you weasel: yhe subject and the forum both make
> the *precise* definition appropriate, and the "widely accepted" misuse
> inappropriate.
>
>>> I repeat: this is not about "definitions" arrived at by accepting
>>> misuses of words.
>> It is not misuse, it's a widely-accepted current use.
>
> Wide accepteance does not undo the fact that it is a misuse. And
> FYI, it's no accidental misuse: it was deliberately engendered for
> the purpose of masking the reality, which is oligarchic tyranny.

>>> Wrong. *I* am Australian.
>> And you're probably one of a small number
>
> Small number? When did you conduct your survey?
>
>> of Australians who rhyme the
>> first vowel with that in "bet".
>
> So you admit that it *is* current in Australia.
>
> More surreptitious snippage, I see. Not too good at honesty or facing
> a challenge, are you?
>
>>> What is democratic about the power of the Attorney-General
>>> to order the spooks to make anyone he chooses disappear?
>> With your definition of "democracy", nothing.
>
> Correct. Also with your definition. In fact, it's pure tyranny.
>
> But you won't face that.
>
>> So to sum up, with your definition of democracy, Australia is not one.
>
> Correct. Also with yours, had you the wherewithal to see it.
>
>> With mine, and that of many others, it is.
>
> Wrong. Perhaps you're unaware that the practise does not follow the
> theory. It is the practise that justifies the terms "tyranny" and
> "elective oligarchy".
>
>> Hence, no further point in arguing. Goodbye.
>
> Larf. You have no argument, just your gullible acceptance of propaganda.
>
> I told you: the establishment and their media whores lies to us about
> everything.
>
> Ned Latham

OK, I said there was no point in further discussion, but I'll make two
further observations:

1. If you are arguing with someone in a forum like this (not a political
science forum), you should not expect that person to understand how a
person in a particular speciality (such as political science) defines a
particular term when that term may have a different meaning in the
general community.

2. You are an arrogant arsehole.

From: Ned Latham on
annily wrote:

Since you can't or won't address the points made:

----snip----

> OK, I said there was no point in further discussion, but I'll make
> two further observations:

Where are they? All I see is preaching and abuse.

> 1. If you are arguing with someone in a forum like this (not a
> political science forum),

Agreed, This stuff is off charter for this group. Mea culpa.

> you should not expect that person to
> understand how a person in a particular speciality (such as
> political science)

The basics of Political Science are no mystery: it's not Rocket Science,
you know.

> defines a particular term when that term may
> have a different meaning in the general community.

You and one other poster responded to my comment. He understood my
meaning perfectly. Don't pretend that your ignorance somehow makes
my use of the term esoteric.

> 2. You are an arrogant arsehole.

Tch. Sore loser.

Ned Latham
From: Anonymous on

"Ned Latham" <ned(a)woden.valhalla.oz> wrote in message
> annily wrote:
>
> Since you can't or won't address the points made:
>
> ----snip----
>
>> OK, I said there was no point in further discussion, but I'll make
>> two further observations:
>
> Where are they? All I see is preaching and abuse.
>
>> 1. If you are arguing with someone in a forum like this (not a
>> political science forum),
>
> Agreed, This stuff is off charter for this group. Mea culpa.
>
>> you should not expect that person to
>> understand how a person in a particular speciality (such as
>> political science)
>
> The basics of Political Science are no mystery: it's not Rocket Science,
> you know.
>
>> defines a particular term when that term may
>> have a different meaning in the general community.
>
> You and one other poster responded to my comment. He understood my
> meaning perfectly. Don't pretend that your ignorance somehow makes
> my use of the term esoteric.
>
>> 2. You are an arrogant arsehole.
>
> Tch. Sore loser.
>
> Ned Latham

He`s a great man that couldnt be bothered
to reply to you at this moment.!

May be sleeping/snoring...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Go wii
Next: Email response management software