From: Paul J Gans on
I've just installed 11.3 and was never asked to set up a
root login and password. Is this right? Are we being
Ubuntu'd (my ordinary password worked for su)?

It took only a moment to create a root login (the account
was already there).

Did I miss something?

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: marrgol on
On 2010-08-05 02:41, Paul J Gans wrote:
> I've just installed 11.3 and was never asked to set up a
> root login and password.

Yes you were - in a way. ;-)

> Did I miss something?

Yes, a checkbox, marked by default, saying IIRC "Use this password
for root account" when you were creating the first user acount
during installation.

--
mrg

From: DenverD on

yes, see: http://en.opensuse.org/images/4/4e/OS_11.3_live_install_7.png

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: Paul J Gans on
marrgol <marspamrgol(a)gspammail.com> wrote:
>On 2010-08-05 02:41, Paul J Gans wrote:
>> I've just installed 11.3 and was never asked to set up a
>> root login and password.

>Yes you were - in a way. ;-)

>> Did I miss something?

>Yes, a checkbox, marked by default, saying IIRC "Use this password
>for root account" when you were creating the first user acount
>during installation.

Bad move on SUSE's part, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, I fixed it manually.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
DenverD <spam.trap(a)somewhere.dk> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> I've just installed 11.3 and was never asked to set up a
>> root login and password. Is this right? Are we being
>> Ubuntu'd (my ordinary password worked for su)?
>>
>> It took only a moment to create a root login (the account
>> was already there).
>>
>> Did I miss something?

>yes, see: http://en.opensuse.org/images/4/4e/OS_11.3_live_install_7.png

AHA! That was it!

I didn't miss it. I was working quickly and read it as the checkbox
for that account to get the system mail -- which I see now is right
under it.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

--
--- Paul J. Gans