From: pjp on
Every test seems to indicate I do not have one but as it looks like I'll
have to redo system anyway to change from a "no good" VLK key to a valid one
(none of the tools will touch it argh!!!) I figured I'd ask if a wipe of the
partition(s) along with a full reformat insures anything and everything is
gone?

From: Daave on
pjp wrote:
> Every test seems to indicate I do not have one but as it looks like
> I'll have to redo system anyway to change from a "no good" VLK key to
> a valid one (none of the tools will touch it argh!!!) I figured I'd
> ask if a wipe of the partition(s) along with a full reformat insures
> anything and everything is gone?

Some context for the benefit of others unfamiliar with the original
thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/33e1ea99193f0f0d/e8d20da35b7cad48?hl=en&tvc=1#e8d20da35b7cad48

From: pjp on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> pjp wrote:
>> Every test seems to indicate I do not have one but as it looks like
>> I'll have to redo system anyway to change from a "no good" VLK key to
>> a valid one (none of the tools will touch it argh!!!) I figured I'd
>> ask if a wipe of the partition(s) along with a full reformat insures
>> anything and everything is gone?
>
> Some context for the benefit of others unfamiliar with the original
> thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/33e1ea99193f0f0d/e8d20da35b7cad48?hl=en&tvc=1#e8d20da35b7cad48

Didn't seem pertinent as this "to me at least" is an entirely new thread on
a different topic. But, Daave concerning previous thread, intend to redo
system with a different disk once this rather large download finishes (202
gigs total!, on last 5 gigs :)

From: Daave on
pjp wrote:
> Every test seems to indicate I do not have one but as it looks like
> I'll have to redo system anyway to change from a "no good" VLK key to
> a valid one (none of the tools will touch it argh!!!) I figured I'd
> ask if a wipe of the partition(s) along with a full reformat insures
> anything and everything is gone?

What makes you think you ever had a rootkit infection?

As long as your Product Key matches the installation media, you'll be
fine. For example, if you use a generic OEM XP Pro installation CD and
if you have an OEM XP Pro Product Key, you should be fine.

Yes, in the event you did have a rootkit infection, a Clean Install will
certainly remove it. :-) Then again, everything else (documents, etc.)
will be removed, too. Here are some guides:

http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

From: pjp on

> pjp wrote:
>> Every test seems to indicate I do not have one but as it looks like
>> I'll have to redo system anyway to change from a "no good" VLK key to
>> a valid one (none of the tools will touch it argh!!!) I figured I'd
>> ask if a wipe of the partition(s) along with a full reformat insures
>> anything and everything is gone?
>
> What makes you think you ever had a rootkit infection?
>
> As long as your Product Key matches the installation media, you'll be
> fine. For example, if you use a generic OEM XP Pro installation CD and if
> you have an OEM XP Pro Product Key, you should be fine.
>
> Yes, in the event you did have a rootkit infection, a Clean Install will
> certainly remove it. :-) Then again, everything else (documents, etc.)
> will be removed, too. Here are some guides:

Just wanted to insure a delete and recreate partitions during a clean
install would do it.

Don't need the guides, been down that road so often :) Now problem is
determining which of the many cd's I have is the one that will accept the
key. Anyone's guess how many timesI'll have to reboot and start over with
another disk. I knew sooner or later MS's bs about all this would cost me
time, frustration and lost income wasting my time screwing with this. I'll
only go so far before I won't care if it's legit or not. I have a valid key
that should be enough!