From: Dana M on
We're finding rounding differences when exporting Access 2003 data to text
files - about $4000 difference from the original Excel Worksheet. # lines -
about 250,000
Original Dollars - $800,000,000 +. Access export is under by about $4000.
Floating decimal in original Excel data, which is imported to Access and
seems not to lose any data, more divisions and calculations are done driving
the dollars out to a large customer base. Before exporting, data is summed
and foots to the original $800MM+. Data is exported using Export Wizard as
comma delimited. I wonder - are there Advanced Options in the Export Wizard
we should be using in order to get closer to the original numbers?
From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:52:09 -0700, Dana M <DanaM(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>We're finding rounding differences when exporting Access 2003 data to text
>files - about $4000 difference from the original Excel Worksheet. # lines -
>about 250,000
>Original Dollars - $800,000,000 +. Access export is under by about $4000.
>Floating decimal in original Excel data, which is imported to Access and
>seems not to lose any data, more divisions and calculations are done driving
>the dollars out to a large customer base. Before exporting, data is summed
>and foots to the original $800MM+. Data is exported using Export Wizard as
>comma delimited. I wonder - are there Advanced Options in the Export Wizard
>we should be using in order to get closer to the original numbers?

If the field in Access is a Single Float, then it will be limited to about
seven digits of precision: e.g. 800,000,000 cannot be distinguished from
799,999,900 or from 800,000,099.

If you use a Currency datatype instead of any sort of Number, you'll get a
range into the trillions and NO roundoff error.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Risse on

"Dana M" <DanaM(a)discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:0540C38D-A3DC-47B6-886B-10DC06DE7116(a)microsoft.com...