From: za kAT on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 00:33:14 +0100, wasbit wrote:

> "Klaatu" <klaatu(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:49:12 GMT, No Spam posted to alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> What is Royal TS?
>> [snip]
>>> http://www.code4ward.net/main/RoyalTS/Overview.aspx
>>
>> Appears to be shareware ($30). Am I missing the freeware here?
>>
>> --
>> Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
> Version 1.6 onwards is shareware as noted by zaKat
>
> At the bottom of the download page :
> "Royal TS 1.5.1 and earlier versions are freeware and still available for
> download."

I read the licence to say it was free to use with the limitations stated in
my quote, basically no more than 10 connections.

The bit at the end says

"There is no charge for any of the above."

They call it an "unregistered shareware version"

I think we have seen this before, where the licence is "shareware", but in
fact they allow use for free up to a point.

I think people licence it that way because in some way it protects their
rights, but I dunno the exact reason, which was why I asked.

Maybe, I read it all wrong.

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!
From: HeyBub on
YescaMesca wrote:
> no es gratis, no es libre. Too bad, decent software. Anyone know a
> FOSS or FREEware prog?

Mikogo (remote desktop) is free, even for commercial use.

From: za kAT on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:56:42 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

> Mikogo (remote desktop) is free, even for commercial use.

Yep, it's really good, works like Logmein, not RDP.

From: No Spam on
In article <i3snjr$pu4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>
"wasbit" <wasbit[removethis]@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Klaatu" <klaatu(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:49:12 GMT, No Spam posted to alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> What is Royal TS?
>> [snip]
>>> http://www.code4ward.net/main/RoyalTS/Overview.aspx
>>
>> Appears to be shareware ($30). Am I missing the freeware here?
>>
>> --
>> Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
>Version 1.6 onwards is shareware as noted by zaKat
>
>At the bottom of the download page :
>"Royal TS 1.5.1 and earlier versions are freeware and still available for
>download."

All versions have free and paid, the paid, as was mentioned started at
1.6.

http://www.code4ward.net/main/RoyalTS/FAQ.aspx

Application - What is the difference between the paid version and the
free version of Royal TS?
Answer:

The only difference is that the free version cannot handle documents
with more than 10 connections per file. You also cannot open documents
with more than 10 connections.

Application - Is Royal TS free?
Answer:

Royal TS 1.6.x or later is shareware. You can use Royal TS free for
personal use with the limitation that your documents can only contain 10
connections.

Previous versions of Royal TS (Version 1.5.x and earlier) are still free
to use.

Royal TS � Download � Statistic and previous Versions
http://www.code4ward.net/main/RoyalTS/Download/StatisticandpreviousVersions.aspx
From: No Spam on
In article <i3ssom$n4n$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>
za kAT <zakAT(a)super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:56:42 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
>
>> Mikogo (remote desktop) is free, even for commercial use.
>
>Yep, it's really good, works like Logmein, not RDP.

There is some confusion here guys.

Royal TS, as you stated, is RDP based, and should be used over your
LAN/WAN unless you are adventurous/crazy enough to allow RDP connections
over the Internet.

Logmein in installs a client for remote access which is unattended.
Mikogo is not similar to Logmein.
It is designed primarily for meetings/conferencing and sharing and while
it could be used for remote control when one of the users allows that,
it can't be used on an unattended computer.
Someone has to be there to start a session or join a session and then
allow remote access.

So basically, if you wand RDP based remote control, Royal TS or other
similar ones are the right software.

If you want online meetings/conferencing, sharing and some remote
control when you have someone at the other computer to allow it, Mikogo
is excellent, and so is Teamviewer but the latter is not allowed for
commercial use.

If you want unattended web based remote control then Logmein should be
your choice.

For that matter, VNC works too, and if you want to use it over the
Internet, you'd better user one of the security enhanced VNC flavors and
then tunnel your connections through SSH.