From: Rajinder Yadav on
Simone D'Amico wrote:
> Il giorno 01/gen/2010, alle ore 13.34, Rajinder Yadav ha scritto:
>
>> Jan wrote:
>>> If you mean irc bot, try git://github.com/RISCfuture/autumn.git
>> basically I want to be able to send and read IRC channel messages, you're saying the the Autumn bot framework should allow me to do this?

> I tried Autumn but seems it is not compatible with latest gems.
> So I opened a socket and I do it on my own XD

ok that is a neat trick, I'm just getting into IRC stuff, can you point
me to any docs that would show me how do this with sockets? I am
exploring all my options, thanks!

From: Martin DeMello on
i've been pleasantly impressed with rif
[http://gitorious.org/ruby-irc]. I've only used it for a small toy
program, but it seemed both featureful and usable.

martin

From: Simone D'Amico on

Il giorno 01/gen/2010, alle ore 14.01, Rajinder Yadav ha scritto:

> ok that is a neat trick, I'm just getting into IRC stuff, can you point me to any docs that would show me how do this with sockets? I am exploring all my options, thanks!

This is a basic implementation with socket. IRC protocol is very simple all you have to do is only the authentication at the start and the answer to the ping request of the server.

http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/1785

Simone D'Amico
*nix powered
sim(a)me.com

From: Rajinder Yadav on
Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> On 01.01.2010 13:34, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> basically I want to be able to send and read IRC channel messages,
>> you're saying the the Autumn bot framework should allow me to do this?
>
> Since an IRC bot pretty much has to be able to read/write to an IRC
> channel, I'd say so. ;)

you know what I meant =) I am just looking for a simple clean interface
to work with.

> However, I managed to dig up a Ruby tutorial, that uses an IRC client to
> write a program via TDD:
>
> http://grayproductions.net/ruby/first_steps.html

that's awesome, thanks for the link, this will help me get my feet wet!

From: Rajinder Yadav on
Simone D'Amico wrote:
> Il giorno 01/gen/2010, alle ore 14.01, Rajinder Yadav ha scritto:
>> ok that is a neat trick, I'm just getting into IRC stuff, can you point me to any docs that would show me how do this with sockets? I am exploring all my options, thanks!
>>

> This is a basic implementation with socket. IRC protocol is very simple all you have to do is only the authentication at the start and the answer to the ping request of the server.
>
> http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/1785

Simone this is cool thanks!
Between what you and Phillip have provided this should be plenty with
respect to socket IRC coding.
Good to know it's not a complicated process.