From: Rajinder Yadav on
Martin DeMello wrote:
> i've been pleasantly impressed with rif
> [http://gitorious.org/ruby-irc]. I've only used it for a small toy
> program, but it seemed both featureful and usable.
>
> martin

Martin, thanks for that info on the gem. I notice ruby-irc only has a
single wiki page? is there more docs on it, or is that all.

I'm going to try using socket first and see how that feels. From the
feedback I've been given, it seems it's not as difficult as I initially
imagined.

From: Phillip Gawlowski on
On 01.01.2010 14:36, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
>> i've been pleasantly impressed with rif
>> [http://gitorious.org/ruby-irc]. I've only used it for a small toy
>> program, but it seemed both featureful and usable.
>>
>> martin
>
> Martin, thanks for that info on the gem. I notice ruby-irc only has a
> single wiki page? is there more docs on it, or is that all.

Check the sources for it, and see if the code's commented. If it is, the
RDoc and ri tasks of RubyGem will create useful documentation (useful as
in: more than just the method names and arguments). :)

--
Phillip Gawlowski

From: spiralofhope on
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:07:13 +0900
Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I am thinking about playing around with IRC Internert Relay Chat
> messaging, what are some good Ruby gems? Does anyone have experience
> with using any? Thanks!

Also, if you want to hack around with an existing ruby IRC program, you
could check out muby:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/muby/

If it helps, I dug up some old docs I had archived from a couple of
years back:
http://spiralofhope.com/hosted/muby/

From: Martin DeMello on
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote:
>>
>> i've been pleasantly impressed with rif
>> [http://gitorious.org/ruby-irc]. I've only used it for a small toy
>> program, but it seemed both featureful and usable.
>>
>> martin
>
> Martin, thanks for that info on the gem. I notice ruby-irc only has a single
> wiki page? is there more docs on it, or is that all.

That seems to be all, but I found it easy enough to get up and running
from that and the example bot.

martin

From: Denis Defreyne on
On 01 Jan 2010, at 13:07, Rajinder Yadav wrote:

> Hi I am thinking about playing around with IRC Internert Relay Chat messaging, what are some good Ruby gems? Does anyone have experience with using any? Thanks!

Two more libraries you may want to check out:

* Net::YAIL - http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-irc-yail/
* silverplatter-irc - http://github.com/apeiros/silverplatter-irc

Regards,

Denis