From: Philip Rhoades on
People,

I have written a little Ruby script to restore information on video/
audio files in a Miro dir structure to a Miro database - the main thing
I can't do is to find the feed for particluar directories eg the dir:

This-American-Life

has a feed:

http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast

but you can't find out what this will be from the stored videos. One of
the Miro developers has suggested:

"You could probably write a Python command line script that does what
you need it to do by using Miro as a library. Then your Ruby script
could invoke your Python script to get the name of the feed."

Are there any examples around of Ruby communicating with Python?

Anyone got a simple example that would get me started?

Thanks,

Phil.

From: Jonathan Nielsen on
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil(a)pricom.com.au> wrote:
> People,
>
> I have written a little Ruby script to restore information on video/ audio
> files in a Miro dir structure to a Miro database - the main thing I can't do
> is to find the feed for particluar directories eg the dir:
>
>        This-American-Life
>
> has a feed:
>
>        http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast
>
> but you can't find out what this will be from the stored videos.  One of the
> Miro developers has suggested:
>
> "You could probably write a Python command line script that does what you
> need it to do by using Miro as a library.  Then your Ruby script could
> invoke your Python script to get the name of the feed."
>
> Are there any examples around of Ruby communicating with Python?
>
> Anyone got a simple example that would get me started?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

You can get the output of a python script (or any command line
program) from ruby like this:

output = `script.py`
(or, to specifically call the interpreter)
output = `python script.py`

This will put anything script.py sends to stdout in the 'output' variable.

-Jonathan Nielsen