From: R. Kumar on
ncurses-ruby 1.2.4 is failing on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (ruby 1.9.1). I am
downloading the tar file from berlios.de and doing the extconf+make
routine.

The problem has been documented elsewhere but no fix/solution.

ncurses_wrap.c: In function 'rbncurshelper_nonblocking_wgetch':
ncurses_wrap.c:818: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
ncurses_wrap.c:835: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
ncurses_wrap.c:854: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make: *** [ncurses_wrap.o] Error 1

I have tried installing elliottcable-ncurses. This installs but many of
its own examples don't work. I get errors like

form.rb:21:in `<main>': undefined method `new_field' for
Ncurses::Form:Module (NoMethodError)

I get similar failures when trying to run my application.

(Btw, my app has been working for a long time on 1.9.1 on OS X Leopard
PPC).

Help appreciated.

From: R. Kumar on
R. Kumar wrote:
> ncurses-ruby 1.2.4 is failing on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (ruby 1.9.1). I am
> downloading the tar file from berlios.de and doing the extconf+make
> routine.

I've found a work-around.

Download older ncurses-0.9.1.gem.

Make changes to lines that give error in ncurses_wrap.c as per the new
version 1.2.4.

Now it works.

There is also a link here which gives a patch file to make the change. I
have not tested out what this article says.
http://trickyco.de/tag/ncurses

** ncurses for ruby programmers seems to be in a sorry state with no one
maintaining the gem. **

From: Michael Fellinger on

I recommend ffi-ncurses.

From: R. Kumar on
Michael Fellinger wrote:
> I recommend ffi-ncurses.

Michael,

Can you give me an idea:

1. How complete is ffi-ncurses ?

2. How much time would it take to port an app or library that uses
ncurses.
I know its hard for you to tell, but lets assume i have 99% of my
ncurses calls in 2 or 3 classes. The rest of the app uses these classes.
I use only Window, Panel, Pad, keyboard and color related stuff,
delay/nodelay.

From: Michael Fellinger on
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:23 PM, R. Kumar <sentinel.2001(a)gmx.com> wrote:
> Michael Fellinger wrote:
>> I recommend ffi-ncurses.
>
> Michael,
>
> Can you give me an idea:
>
> 1. How complete is ffi-ncurses ?

It covers all the basic ncurses calls..

> 2. How much time would it take to port an app or library that uses
> ncurses.
> I know its hard for you to tell, but lets assume i have 99% of my
> ncurses calls in 2 or 3 classes. The rest of the app uses these classes.
> I use only Window, Panel, Pad, keyboard and color related stuff,
> delay/nodelay.

I have no idea how long it would take, depends on how large and
complex the code is.
It should be pretty painless though.
The parts not in ffi-ncurses are Window and Panel, I wrote them if
you'd like to reuse them.
http://github.com/manveru/ver/tree/bdfc4f1ae885b3635983d0db6f0b8fe1ebcca922/lib/ver/ncurses
I'll try to get them into ffi-ncurses sometime, I'm not even sure they
work with latest FFI without modification.
If you have any trouble, please let me know so we can work it out.

--
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC