From: Tom Copeland on

On Jun 16, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Intransition wrote:

> On Jun 16, 8:14 am, Tom Copeland <t...(a)infoether.com> wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> Me and some other folks are looking into switching RubyForge over to use Redmine. If you'd like to help, the migration script is underway here:
>>
>> http://github.com/rubycentral/rubyforge
>
> Err... woozahhh
>
> I thought you guys were "moving on". I am very surprised to see you
> are actually converting Rubyforge from PHP to Ruby. Is this in
> production?

It is not... we must first code up a migration script and port various cronjobs and what have you.

> So it the Redmine just a issues? Or more than that?

It does lots, and the bits it doesn't do we'll write.

> I posted about it before, but I fell Rubyforge would do well to become
> a "dashboard" app withsplugins for managing various services related
> to their projects whether internal or external.

Yup, we probably need something like "the code is over here on github" as an SCM option.

Yours,

Tom

From: Tom Copeland on

On Jun 16, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Jun 16, 8:14 am, Tom Copeland <t...(a)infoether.com> wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> Me and some other folks are looking into switching RubyForge over to use Redmine. If you'd like to help, the migration script is underway here:
>>
>> http://github.com/rubycentral/rubyforge
>>
>> Or if you think this is a terrible idea, please speak now...
>>

> I just wonder what is going to happen with file hosting.
>
> I'm fine with a modernized structure, but want to know what to expect
> to be able to better plan RubyInstaller and other projects tracking
> needs.

We'll still do file hosting... but gems will definitely stay with gemcutter (i.e., rubygems.org).

Yours,

Tom

From: Tom Copeland on

On Jun 16, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2:06 pm, Intransition <transf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 10:43 am, Intransition <transf...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So it the Redmine just a issues? Or more than that?
>>
>> So IS the Redmine just FOR issues?
>
> No:
>
> http://www.redmine.org/
>
> But the question is not that, is what would happen with file being
> hosted there, the package model do not fit the old RubyForge one.

True, yup, Redmine has a files tab but I think it's pretty much a linear list.

How much of the RubyForge Package/Release/File structure do you think we need?

Thanks,

Tom

From: Caleb Clausen on
On 6/16/10, Tom Copeland <tom(a)infoether.com> wrote:
> True, yup, Redmine has a files tab but I think it's pretty much a linear
> list.
>
> How much of the RubyForge Package/Release/File structure do you think we
> need?

Personally, I don't see much point to having rubyforge model releases.
A separate directory for each package is clearly needed, but I just
want a place to dump my tarballs. Having to 'create a release' each
time I do that is (a little bit of) extra work. The 'release' of a
file is implicitly stored in the file's name anyway.

While we're on the subject, it would be extremely nice if the urls to
files were friendlier. Something like
http://rubyforge.org/<packagename>/<filename> is what I would like to
see, rather than the current scheme which involves numbers in the url
as I recall. (OTOH, files currently on rubyforge might need to keep
their current urls as well, otherwise you risk breaking external
links...)

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jun 16, 4:11 pm, Tom Copeland <t...(a)infoether.com> wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:

> >> So IS the Redmine just FOR issues?
>
> > No:
>
> >http://www.redmine.org/
>
> > But the question is not that, is what would happen with file being
> > hosted there, the package model do not fit the old RubyForge one.
>
> True, yup, Redmine has a files tab but I think it's pretty much a linear list.

Linear works for me. I'm worried that file releases for RubyInstaller,
tar files for projects like SQLite3-Ruby and others are lost.

Just that.

> How much of the RubyForge Package/Release/File structure do you think we need?

RubyForge release cycle is overkill, that one of the reasons I think
gemcutter make gem releases blossom, it lowered the release barrier.

> Thanks,

Thanks to you man.

--
Luis Lavena