From: Frank van Bortel on
bdbafh wrote:
> On Jan 20, 7:07 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks...(a)forestoil.ca> wrote:
>> I have Oracle 10.2.0.4-64 bit running on W3K-64-bit.
>> Now I need to run a 32-bit 9.2.0.5 (yes I know, ouch) on this box. I cannot
>> get the listener to work. I use batch file to specifically point to the 9.2
>> environment, but for some reason it points to the 64-bit version.
>> Any clues?
>>

> Regarding the database server software, running 32 bit Oracle database
> server software on a 64 bit OS is not supported.
> That's a good enough stopping condition for me.
> You need to run the 32 bit software on a 32 bit OS, be it on a
> physical or virtual server.
>
> -bdbafh

C'mon! No need for VM's!
Any idea how much 16-bit applications still run under MS Windows?!?
Don't you think Microsoft emulates that, just like any OS vendor/producer?

@Terry: Vladimir is correct; apart from that: it is good practice
to run the highest version of a utility (RMAN/listener/imp/exp).

Of course, if you would insist on a 9.2 listener: it can be done.

--

Regards, Frank van Bortel

Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply
From: Terry Dykstra on
"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> bdbafh wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 7:07 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks...(a)forestoil.ca> wrote:
>>> I have Oracle 10.2.0.4-64 bit running on W3K-64-bit.
>>> Now I need to run a 32-bit 9.2.0.5 (yes I know, ouch) on this box. I
>>> cannot
>>> get the listener to work. I use batch file to specifically point to the
>>> 9.2
>>> environment, but for some reason it points to the 64-bit version.
>>> Any clues?
>>>

>> Regarding the database server software, running 32 bit Oracle database
>> server software on a 64 bit OS is not supported.
>> That's a good enough stopping condition for me.
>> You need to run the 32 bit software on a 32 bit OS, be it on a
>> physical or virtual server.
>>
>> -bdbafh
>>

> C'mon! No need for VM's!
> Any idea how much 16-bit applications still run under MS Windows?!?
> Don't you think Microsoft emulates that, just like any OS vendor/producer?
>
> @Terry: Vladimir is correct; apart from that: it is good practice
> to run the highest version of a utility (RMAN/listener/imp/exp).
>
> Of course, if you would insist on a 9.2 listener: it can be done.
>
> --
>
> Regards, Frank van Bortel
>
> Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply

Using 64-bit listener clients cannot connect. I get ora-12518. Lots of
google hits, went through every Oracle on metalink and cannot get it to
work.

--
Terry Dykstra

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Jan 25, 6:36 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks...(a)forestoil.ca> wrote:
> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bor...(a)gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:d353f$4b5aceb3$524ba3af$22102(a)cache2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
>

> > bdbafh wrote:
>
> >> Regarding the database server software, running 32 bit Oracle database
> >> server software on a 64 bit OS is not supported.
> >> That's a good enough stopping condition for me.
> >> You need to run the 32 bit software on a 32 bit OS, be it on a
> >> physical or virtual server.
>
> >> -bdbafh
>
> > C'mon! No need for VM's!
> > Any idea how much 16-bit applications still run under MS Windows?!?
> > Don't you think Microsoft emulates that, just like any OS vendor/producer?
>
> > @Terry: Vladimir is correct; apart from that: it is good practice
> > to run the highest version of a utility (RMAN/listener/imp/exp).
>
> > Of course, if you would insist on a 9.2 listener: it can be done.
>
> > --
>
> > Regards, Frank van Bortel
>
> > Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply
>
> Using 64-bit listener clients cannot connect.   I get ora-12518.  Lots of
> google hits, went through every Oracle on metalink and cannot get it to
> work.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra

Did you trace the listener? If you didn't - turn on listener tracing
and see what's being reported as the cause (and post the trace here.)
Also, inspect the alert log for errors and check any associated trace
files. If you see errors mentioning skgpspawn, this might indicate
that PROCESSES is set too low. This might also be an out of memory
problem.

Did you consider the VM approach yet? ;)

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev
N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
http://www.dynamicpsp.com