From: Sammy on
Tom
Thanks so much for this. However when I run this in test I only get error
messages and it does not update the one db that has the tables. Only when I
have this one db as the default db it updates the db but then it does not
show any erorr messages implying that it only ran for the one db

I would really appreciate your guidance on this.

Thanks

Sammy

From: Tom Cooper on
Sorry, should have been,

sp_msForEachDb 'Use [?] update XBANKINFO set BankReqSig2 = ''1'',

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Sammy (s_commar(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> Why should I not post it.
> I was looking for a better way of doing what I needed than I got in the
> other newsgroup.
> So what's your problem if I post it in multiple newsgroups.

Because people who respond to questions in these newsgroups do not have
an infinite amount of time on their hands. It's frustrating to spend time
of composing an answer to a post, only to find that the question has
already been answered in another newsgroup.

As I recall I posted the answer in .programming, that apparently did
not fit your tastes. Rather than going elsewhere, it would be decent
to tell us what was wrong about it.

I purposely avoided sp_MSforeachdb because it is undocumented and
unsupported, and it seemed more difficult to fulfil the requirement of
not getting errors in databases without the table using it.

And remember: in these newsgroups, you *never* get less help than what
you pay for!

For reference, here is my solution again:

DECLARE @sql nvarchar(MAX),
@db sysname,
@sp_executesql nvarchar(512),
@hastable bit

SELECT @sql = 'update XBANKINFO set BankReqSig2 = ''1'',
Signature1 = ''X:\SIGNATURES\NEOSPINE\SIGNER1\DDEAN1.BMP'',
Signature1always = ''1'',
Signature1Limit = ''0'',
Signature2 = ''X:\SIGNATURES\NEOSPINE\SIGNER2\DBELL1.BMP'',
Signature2Limit = ''0.01'',
Signature2Valid = ''1'',
Signature2ValidMsg = ''** Not valid without two signatures **'',
Void = ''1'',
VoidMsg = ''** void after 90 days **'�

DECLARE dbcur CURSOR STATIC LOCAL FOR
SELECT name FROM sys.databases

OPEN dbcur

WHILE 1 = 1
BEGIN
FETCH dbcur INTO @db
IF @@fetch_status <> 0
BREAK

SELECT @sp_executesql = quotename(@db) + ..sp_executesql'

EXEC @sp_executesql N'SELECT @id = object_name(''XBANKINFO'')',
N'@id int OUTPUT', @hastable OUTPUT

IF @hastable = 1
EXEC @sp_executesql @sql
END

DEALLOCATE dbcur

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Sammy on
Erland

The problem is as below that I was getting with your solution. If you can
help me that will be great

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 15
Incorrect syntax near '�'.
Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 28