From: Helmut Meukel on
Hmm,

in your VB6 program you have reverenced something like
EXCEL10.OLB, the excel object library. You may run into
problems when the excel version installed on the target system
is older. A few days ago I upgraded an app on a custumers
system with only Office 97. So I searched on my multi-boot
dev system for EXCEL8.OLB, found it on one of the other
system partitions and refereced it. The compiled exe had no
problem on my system with Office 2000. As I later tried a
small test app, I found in References only EXCEL9.OLB
and had to browse for EXCEL8.OLB, so it will probably
work with higher versions.
I found somewhere a tip to use early binding during
development to have the benefit of intellisense but then
switch to late binding to be on the safe side and use trial
and error to create the excel object. Starting with the
highest version and then down to the oldest version that
still supports the essential things you used and skip over
non-essential features if there is only an old Excel version
available.
You could do this using conditional compilation so you can
switch back to early binding for further development.

Helmut.