From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Folks

I'm curious as to what tools folks use to create icons. Mostly
because I'd like to have a page on my website with a bit of info on
icons and links to icon editors.

I've been using Icon Edit (a Component of Icon Suite
http://www.bouffler.freeserve.co.uk/) which is freeware. It's decent
enough for someone of my very limited/non existent graphic skills.
However it has one irritating feature which is that the transparent
pixel feature isn't documented very well or at all. Also there is
no way, that I know of, of telling it to make a specific background or
colour transparent.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Shotgun Thom on
On Mar 17, 7:47 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Folks
>
> I'm curious as to what tools folks use to create icons.  Mostly
> because I'd like to have a page on my website with a bit of info on
> icons and links to icon editors.
>
> I've been using Icon Edit (a Component of Icon Suitehttp://www.bouffler.freeserve.co.uk/) which is freeware.  It's decent
> enough for someone of my very limited/non existent graphic skills.
> However it has one irritating feature which is that the transparent
> pixel feature isn't documented very well or at all.    Also there is
> no way, that I know of, of telling it to make a specific background or
> colour transparent.
>
> Thanks, Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>   updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/
> Granite Fleet Managerhttp://www.granitefleet.com/

I use two...

1. IcoFX. Very full featured. A little bit of a learning curve but
it's an excellent program. Freeware.
The link is: http://icofx.ro/

2. iICO: This is actually a VB6 project created by Carles PV on PSC.
It's over 4 years old and I believe Carles has moved on... but the
icon program is great. It does ARGB icons (32 bit) and you can mix
and match icon styles and formats in a single file. For example you
can create a 24bit true color or 256 color 16x16 for your VB project
for form icon and also have a 32 bit version for your desktop in the
same icon file. You can import PNG and other files. Very good. Less
of a learning curve. Easy to use.

The link is: http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=54968&lngWId=1

Tom
From: Dee Earley on
On 18/03/2010 02:47, Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Folks
>
> I'm curious as to what tools folks use to create icons. Mostly
> because I'd like to have a page on my website with a bit of info on
> icons and links to icon editors.

I use Visual studio (often working directly in resource files) and Paint
shop pro for the graphics side of things.

> I've been using Icon Edit (a Component of Icon Suite
> http://www.bouffler.freeserve.co.uk/) which is freeware. It's decent
> enough for someone of my very limited/non existent graphic skills.
> However it has one irritating feature which is that the transparent
> pixel feature isn't documented very well or at all. Also there is
> no way, that I know of, of telling it to make a specific background or
> colour transparent.

You normally use flood fill to replace whatever colour you want with the
background colour (in VS).
Obviously a full editor should allow alpha levels, etc.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:47:09 -0600, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

� Folks

� I'm curious as to what tools folks use to create icons. Mostly
� because I'd like to have a page on my website with a bit of info on
� icons and links to icon editors.

� I've been using Icon Edit (a Component of Icon Suite
� http://www.bouffler.freeserve.co.uk/) which is freeware. It's decent
� enough for someone of my very limited/non existent graphic skills.
� However it has one irritating feature which is that the transparent
� pixel feature isn't documented very well or at all. Also there is
� no way, that I know of, of telling it to make a specific background or
� colour transparent.

� Thanks, Tony

I use either Microangelo (http://www.microangelo.us/) or IconWorkshop
(http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/).

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: mayayana on
I mostly use IconEdit32 from PCMag, but I
see now that it's not free anymore. The version
I have is limited, and only makes 256-color (8-bit)
icons, but I'm usually just converting a BMP.
I don't try to draw them in the program. It's just
too tedious to work at the pixel level. I create
something in Paint Shop Pro and then convert it.

Years ago I wrote my own program to create
24-bit icons. It's not really terribly involved.
You just need to build a 2-bit mask image to
designate the transparent regions. Then you
write an icon header to file, followed by the
icon BMP, followed by the mask BMP.

I don't know about 32-bit icons. Perhaps they
require a 3rd mask for alpha?

I still stick pretty much to 8-bit icons. I suppose
that 24-bit are probably universally supported by
now, but if someone is running with 16-bit display
a 24-bit icon can look very ugly.

Another thing I often use is IrfanView. That's
handy and very easy if you have something
like a GIF, where you just want 1 specific color
to be transparent.

> I'm curious as to what tools folks use to create icons. Mostly
> because I'd like to have a page on my website with a bit of info on
> icons and links to icon editors.
>

> Also there is
> no way, that I know of, of telling it to make a specific background or
> colour transparent.

When that's all you need you can use IrfanView.
Just save the image as .ico and click the color you
want transparent.

You have to watch out for faulty icons, though.
Some editors make 24-bit icons that look fine
on Win9x but have a black background (visible
mask image) on at least some NT systems. I once
traced that to a particular byte in the file header,
but I don't remember now which byte it is.