From: Docster on
Run-time error 5:Invalid procedure call or argument

I have been running a small app to backup OE for years (same app without
updates its) and now all of a sudden I am getting the above error message.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this message to pop up?

Oh, the app is Outlook Express Freeby Backup and Outlook Express Quickie
Backup.
I feel certain the problem is with the OS its self

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[X-post to OE General]

The author withdrew OE Freebie Backup over 5 years ago. You should only be
using OE Quick Backup now.

From: Docster on
I get the same results no matter which one I use.
Have been using both successfully until now.

From: Andrew McLaren on
On 23/01/2010 10:46, Docster wrote:
> Run-time error 5:Invalid procedure call or argument
> I have been running a small app to backup OE for years (same app without
> updates its) and now all of a sudden I am getting the above error message.
> Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this message to pop up?
> Oh, the app is Outlook Express Freeby Backup and Outlook Express Quickie
> Backup.
> I feel certain the problem is with the OS its self

This error message is produced by the Visual Basic runtime. I'd guess
that OE Quick Backup was written in Visual Basic; and for some reason,
the VB runtime is having a problem on your machine.

A quick way to try and fix the problem would be to re-install OE Quick
Backup, using the download version which contains the full VB Runtime,
bundled (I just looked at their website):

http://www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.asp

Alternatively, you can install (or re-install) the Visual Basic Runtime
files, from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vbruntime

If it keeps failing after that ... I dunno. Even if it is a problem in
the OS, you may need to contact the app's author, to find out what is
causing the error message.

Hope it helps,

Andrew

--
amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

From: Steve Cochran on
Error 5 indicates a permissions issue, so you might consider whether the
output directory has the correct permissions to write to. Also you can
reset the program by deleting this key in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OEBackup

that might fix the problem.

steve