From: docmike on
Can anyone help? For some weeks now I have been getting a dialog box on my
screen every time I boot up and I would like to remove it. It says:

Rundll.exe - application error
The instruction at “0x100155b0” referenced memory at “0x00b90000”. The
memory could not be “read”
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I do not know what caused this and cannot remember installing any new
software just before it appeared. I tried going back to a restore point 3
weeks earlier with no effect. I have re-installed Windows XP Service Pack 2
and Internet Explorer 7 with no effect.

From: Rock on
"docmike" <docmike(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Can anyone help? For some weeks now I have been getting a dialog box on my
> screen every time I boot up and I would like to remove it. It says:
>
> Rundll.exe - application error
> The instruction at “0x100155b0” referenced memory at “0x00b90000”. The
> memory could not be “read”
> Click on OK to terminate the program
> Click on CANCEL to debug the program
>
> I do not know what caused this and cannot remember installing any new
> software just before it appeared. I tried going back to a restore point 3
> weeks earlier with no effect. I have re-installed Windows XP Service Pack
> 2
> and Internet Explorer 7 with no effect.

Does this happen if you boot into safe mode? If not then do some clean boot
troubleshooting to identify what's loading during the normal startup to
cause this error. From there you can decide how to fix it.

To boot into safe mode:
1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you
can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then
press ENTER.
3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in
blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then
press ENTER.

If the error doesn't appear there, reboot into normal windows and follow
these steps. In msconfig on the startup tab look for a command that invokes
rundll

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353

What is the malware status of the computer?

Malware Removal

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper's Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]