From: Gualtier Malde on
I am using XP v 5.1 SP3 in an Acer Aspire 1 netbook. I am pleased to find that,
so far, the DOS programs I have are running in the environment. The screen is
small, though, so I use an external monitor. The DOS programs show up on the
netbook screen but not on the monitor. This is regardless of where the
screen-monitor toggle is set.

Is there anything that I can do to correct that? Thanks
gm
From: Dr.Hal0nf1r�$ on
Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I am using XP v 5.1 SP3 in an Acer Aspire 1 netbook. I am pleased to
> find that, so far, the DOS programs I have are running in the
> environment. The screen is small, though, so I use an external
> monitor. The DOS programs show up on the netbook screen but not on
> the monitor. This is regardless of where the screen-monitor toggle
> is set.
> Is there anything that I can do to correct that? Thanks
> gm

Switch the monitor on?

From: Grinder on
On 5/21/2010 4:18 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I am using XP v 5.1 SP3 in an Acer Aspire 1 netbook. I am pleased to
> find that, so far, the DOS programs I have are running in the
> environment. The screen is small, though, so I use an external monitor.
> The DOS programs show up on the netbook screen but not on the monitor.
> This is regardless of where the screen-monitor toggle is set.
>
> Is there anything that I can do to correct that? Thanks

The resolution of a typical 10" netbook is a bit of an odd duck -- 1024
x 600. I'm unsure if that is the reason, but I've noticed (with my Dell
10v) that feeding to an external monitor is temperamental. I've only
tried projectors, but the results I get are often oddly sized or
proportioned.

Aside from DOS output, can you get a clean feed to an external monitor?
Are you only having a problem with *maximized* DOS screens?
From: Gualtier Malde on
On 5/25/2010 07 54, Grinder wrote:
> On 5/21/2010 4:18 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> I am using XP v 5.1 SP3 in an Acer Aspire 1 netbook. I am pleased to
>> find that, so far, the DOS programs I have are running in the
>> environment. The screen is small, though, so I use an external monitor.
>> The DOS programs show up on the netbook screen but not on the monitor.
>> This is regardless of where the screen-monitor toggle is set.
>>
>> Is there anything that I can do to correct that? Thanks
>
> The resolution of a typical 10" netbook is a bit of an odd duck -- 1024
> x 600. I'm unsure if that is the reason, but I've noticed (with my Dell
> 10v) that feeding to an external monitor is temperamental. I've only
> tried projectors, but the results I get are often oddly sized or
> proportioned.
>
> Aside from DOS output, can you get a clean feed to an external monitor?
> Are you only having a problem with *maximized* DOS screens?
Good to see you, Grinder -
I don't think this is a resolution problem. I /have/ had a time trying to work
out the screen presentation and such, but this is simply that, when I am working
on the netbook with the external monitor and select one of my DOS programs, the
monitor stops (with a "no connection" window) and my DOS program displays only
on the netbook screen.

I have this nagging feeling that there is something that could be done like an
old DOS command such as I no longer recall. If the whole thing were in a DOS
environment I would try bunches of stuff, but I am intimidated into inaction by
windows. ("Thus XP doth make cowards of us all") - or me, at least.

I will be glad for your insight.

From: Grinder on
On 5/28/2010 1:29 AM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 07 54, Grinder wrote:
>> On 5/21/2010 4:18 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
>>> I am using XP v 5.1 SP3 in an Acer Aspire 1 netbook. I am pleased to
>>> find that, so far, the DOS programs I have are running in the
>>> environment. The screen is small, though, so I use an external monitor.
>>> The DOS programs show up on the netbook screen but not on the monitor.
>>> This is regardless of where the screen-monitor toggle is set.
>>>
>>> Is there anything that I can do to correct that? Thanks
>>
>> The resolution of a typical 10" netbook is a bit of an odd duck -- 1024
>> x 600. I'm unsure if that is the reason, but I've noticed (with my Dell
>> 10v) that feeding to an external monitor is temperamental. I've only
>> tried projectors, but the results I get are often oddly sized or
>> proportioned.
>>
>> Aside from DOS output, can you get a clean feed to an external monitor?
>> Are you only having a problem with *maximized* DOS screens?
> Good to see you, Grinder -
> I don't think this is a resolution problem. I /have/ had a time trying
> to work out the screen presentation and such, but this is simply that,
> when I am working on the netbook with the external monitor and select
> one of my DOS programs, the monitor stops (with a "no connection"
> window) and my DOS program displays only on the netbook screen.
>
> I have this nagging feeling that there is something that could be done
> like an old DOS command such as I no longer recall. If the whole thing
> were in a DOS environment I would try bunches of stuff, but I am
> intimidated into inaction by windows. ("Thus XP doth make cowards of us
> all") - or me, at least.
>
> I will be glad for your insight.

If the dos application is running in full screen, it's probably
attempting to change the screen resolution. That might be freaking your
external display out.

Is the DOS application running full screen? Can you try and run it in a
window?