From: Jimbo on
Hi,

SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition (SP2)

I'm having trouble running a SQL script generated via the SQL 2005
Profiler.

I've set up a very simple proifle template to look for 'Crystal
Report' SQL that runs for over 2 seconds in the mill - the only two
filters I have on the template are 'Application name' and 'Duration'.
When I run it in the Profile GUI, all is fine, and I receive the
expect output.

When I generate a SQL script of the profile template, to run in Query
Analyser or as a scheduled job, none of the filtering seems to work,
and I receive data for all SQL running through the mill.

What's wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

James.
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Jimbo (james.goodwill(a)googlemail.com) writes:
> SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition (SP2)
>
> I'm having trouble running a SQL script generated via the SQL 2005
> Profiler.
>
> I've set up a very simple proifle template to look for 'Crystal
> Report' SQL that runs for over 2 seconds in the mill - the only two
> filters I have on the template are 'Application name' and 'Duration'.
> When I run it in the Profile GUI, all is fine, and I receive the
> expect output.
>
> When I generate a SQL script of the profile template, to run in Query
> Analyser or as a scheduled job, none of the filtering seems to work,
> and I receive data for all SQL running through the mill.
>
> What's wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?

There was a bug with creating the script in Profiler, so that traces were
not exported correctly. I don't remember when it was fixed, but take a
look at the calls to sp_trace_setfilter at the end of the script, and
verify the calls against the documentation in Books Online.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Jimbo on
On Nov 6, 11:38 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Jimbo (james.goodw...(a)googlemail.com) writes:
> > SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition (SP2)
>
> > I'm having trouble running a SQL script generated via the SQL 2005
> > Profiler.
>
> > I've set up a very simple proifle template to look for 'Crystal
> > Report' SQL that runs for over 2 seconds in the mill - the only two
> > filters I have on the template are 'Application name' and 'Duration'.
> > When I run it in the Profile GUI, all is fine, and I receive the
> > expect output.
>
> > When I generate a SQL script of the profile template, to run in Query
> > Analyser or as a scheduled job, none of the filtering seems to work,
> > and I receive data for all SQL running through the mill.
>
> > What's wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> There was a bug with creating the script in Profiler, so that traces were
> not exported correctly. I don't remember when it was fixed, but take a
> look at the calls to sp_trace_setfilter at the end of the script, and
> verify the calls against the documentation in Books Online.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...(a)sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

Erland,

Thank you. I have created scripted profiler SQL myself without using
the Profiler to create it for me, so I will have a look at the SQL
created.

Thanks once again.

James.