From: Rotwatcher on
SORRY FOR CROSS POSTING - ORIGINALLY SENT TO WRONG NEWSGROUP

Years ago I wrote a program in VB4 16-bit, which was later ported to
VB6. I've just had a request for support from a client who is trying
to run it under Windows 7 Professional with Virtual PC XP Mode, who
gets an error right from the get-go:

Runtime Error 91 Object Variable or With Block variable not set

The Error Log shows 3043,"Could not load VBA expression service
library."

I'm tempted to say that the proposed o/s isn't supported, but I don't
want to rain on his parade unnecessarily.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Edward
From: Ralph on
Rotwatcher wrote:
> SORRY FOR CROSS POSTING - ORIGINALLY SENT TO WRONG NEWSGROUP
>
> Years ago I wrote a program in VB4 16-bit, which was later ported to
> VB6. I've just had a request for support from a client who is trying
> to run it under Windows 7 Professional with Virtual PC XP Mode, who
> gets an error right from the get-go:
>
> Runtime Error 91 Object Variable or With Block variable not set
>

> The Error Log shows 3043,"Could not load VBA expression service
> library."
>

> I'm tempted to say that the proposed o/s isn't supported, but I don't
> want to rain on his parade unnecessarily.
>

> Thoughts?

No need to produce any showers - the O/S is supported. The application
should run.

By the "get-go" do you mean he can't launch the application?

The error log is merely pointed out that the VB runtime can't continue,
i.e., the applications has a fatal un-handled exception. Actual cause could
be anything.

Was the application properly installed?

-ralph

From: Bill McCarthy on
Hi Edward,

XP Mode provides the same software platform as Windows XP, so it should work
there. (note: "supported" would be past tense for XP, but it still should
work). The only notable differences would be around hardware support on XP
mode.
First make sure you have got all the necessary runtime files and check the
service pack levels. MS ships a XP VM for XP Mode and I'd guess the SP
levels there would be SP6, but I haven't checked. The user might have
installed their own VM OS, so might be worth checking. And the usual ensure
your dlls are all there and registered applies.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bill McCarthy expressed precisely :
> MS ships a XP VM for XP Mode and I'd guess the SP levels
> there would be SP6, but I haven't checked.

It's SP3, actually.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Rotwatcher on
On Jan 13, 2:54 pm, Rotwatcher <edwardw...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> SORRY FOR CROSS POSTING - ORIGINALLY SENT TO WRONG NEWSGROUP
>
> Years ago I wrote a program in VB4 16-bit, which was later ported to
> VB6.  I've just had a request for support from a client who is trying
> to run it under Windows 7 Professional with Virtual PC XP Mode, who
> gets an error right from the get-go:
>
> Runtime Error 91 Object Variable or With Block variable not set
>
> The Error Log shows 3043,"Could not load VBA expression service
> library."
>
> I'm tempted to say that the proposed o/s isn't supported, but I don't
> want to rain on his parade unnecessarily.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> Edward

Thanks to you all for your help.