From: jerryys on
i'm installing vb6 pro on 64 bit hardware and 64 bit Windows vista home premium
following bits and pieces of hints given here. VB6 installed, seems some
things are a little shacky, but got to work. now i try to update service pack
5 and it seems it needs MDAC 2.5 to install. I downloaded it and run it. it
runs very quickly. Then i
try to install SP5 again and get same mistake. It appears the MDAC does not
really install. Can anyone help as to why. I happen to have the MDAC 2.0 exec
from another computer and that one seems to install properly on the new
computer.
Do I need something extra to install the newer versions. If I dont install
will that
mean I will not have any file access methods?

thanks jerryys

From: Ralph on
jerryys wrote:
> i'm installing vb6 pro on 64 bit hardware and 64 bit Windows vista
> home premium following bits and pieces of hints given here. VB6
> installed, seems some things are a little shacky, but got to work.
> now i try to update service pack 5 and it seems it needs MDAC 2.5 to
> install. I downloaded it and run it. it runs very quickly. Then i
> try to install SP5 again and get same mistake. It appears the MDAC
> does not really install. Can anyone help as to why. I happen to have
> the MDAC 2.0 exec from another computer and that one seems to install
> properly on the new computer.
> Do I need something extra to install the newer versions. If I dont
> install will that
> mean I will not have any file access methods?
>
> thanks jerryys

Do NOT install or attempt to install any MDACs. All essential components for
data access, once a part of the MDAC, are already installed (DAC 6) on that
platform.

While it is possible to modify VS/VB6 to install SP5, unless you absolutely
have to have it - install SP6 instead.

-ralph

From: Ralph on
Ralph wrote:

> While it is possible to modify VS/VB6 to install SP5, unless you
> absolutely have to have it - install SP6 instead.

That came out wrong. Meant to say ...
While it is possible to modify VS/VB6 SP5 Setup to remove the MDAC
requirement, and thus install SP5, unless you absolutely have to have SP5,
install SP6 instead.

All SPs are accumulative, ie, you'll get whatever 'upgrade' you needed with
SP5 with SP6.

-ralph

From: jerryys on
thanks ralph, but i downloaded sp5 and sp6 from MS and it seems sp5 is much
larger then sp6. and i follow your logic, but the size thing bothers me. what
would i be missing if i only install sp6 which by the way installs easily.

also i notice that the cursor is literally shaky when i drag a control to
the form while
using vb6. any ideas?

i also tried the package and deployment wizard and get an error PDMAN 98 is
not responding. how to fix?

thanks

jerryys

From: Ralph on
jerryys wrote:
> thanks ralph, but i downloaded sp5 and sp6 from MS and it seems sp5
> is much larger then sp6. and i follow your logic, but the size thing
> bothers me. what would i be missing if i only install sp6 which by
> the way installs easily.
>
> also i notice that the cursor is literally shaky when i drag a
> control to the form while
> using vb6. any ideas?
>
> i also tried the package and deployment wizard and get an error PDMAN
> 98 is not responding. how to fix?

If you have installed SP6, then installing SP5 is a non-issue and you
haven't lost a thing as the service packs are accumulative, BUT pdcmdln.exe
errors are always a sign of a bad install (ie, even if damaged, corrupted,
or mismatched the only practical repair is to re-install VS/VB).

No idea why the cursor is "shaky". The most often suggestion when 32-bit
apps have visual problems in Vista is to turn off Areo.

I wouldn't read too much into "sizes" when it comes to MS SPs or other
downloads.

-ralph