From: Alex DeCaria on
I want to try out Ruby 1.9, but don't want to go whole hog since I have
a lot of programs that run just fine with 1.8. I also use RMagick,
which seems not to work with 1.9 yet.

Can I have both versions of Ruby installed in the Windows environment,
but have 1.8 be the default for running Ruby programs? Are there any
tricks or tips for doing this? I'm worried about conflict/errors that
may arise.

--Alex DeCaria

From: Luis Lavena on
On Feb 17, 4:17 am, Alex DeCaria <alex.deca...(a)millersville.edu>
wrote:
> I want to try out Ruby 1.9, but don't want to go whole hog since I have
> a lot of programs that run just fine with 1.8.  I also use RMagick,
> which seems not to work with 1.9 yet.
>
> Can I have both versions of Ruby installed in the Windows environment,
> but have 1.8 be the default for running Ruby programs?  Are there any
> tricks or tips for doing this?  I'm worried about conflict/errors that
> may arise.

Just download RC2 version of RubyInstaller for 1.9:

http://rubyinstaller.org/

It will install by default into "Ruby19" at the root of your system
drive (generally C:)

By default, it will not change the settings of your environment, and
you can start it from the customized command prompt shortcut that is
created inside All Programs menu.

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
From: Alex DeCaria on

As far as installing and updating Ruby gems for the 1.9 version, if I do
that from the 1.9 command window that I open, will it then install them
in the 1.9 directory and not affect the 1.8 version? So, I can keep two
versions of gems separate as well?
--Alex

From: Marc Heiler on
Is there an .exe file for 1.9 ?

I want to try out 1.9 on windows, but I am very much used to the old
exe

I am a bit shy to fiddle with MinGW

From: Chuck Remes on
On Feb 17, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Alex DeCaria wrote:

> As far as installing and updating Ruby gems for the 1.9 version, if I do
> that from the 1.9 command window that I open, will it then install them
> in the 1.9 directory and not affect the 1.8 version? So, I can keep two
> versions of gems separate as well?
> --Alex

Yes, that is the case. I run both 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 on my Windows boxes with completely separate gem installations. I did not have to do any extra work to accomplish this. The rubyinstallers are really great!

cr