From: John on
If I want to run my own web server, can it be done with a dynamic IP
or do I really need to have a static one?

From: Paul on
John wrote:
> If I want to run my own web server, can it be done with a dynamic IP
> or do I really need to have a static one?

If your Internet service uses dynamic IP addresses like mine does,
you use one of the many dyndns services. It is a method where
your machine registers with a central machine, and a DNS entry is
updated for your machine. That allows people external to you,
to reach you with a symbolic address.

If you're using a router with your cable or ADSL modem, the
router may have a setup page in it, which registers the public
IP address being used. My router has that feature in it, and
since I'm using a router, I would use the router DDNS feature,
rather than setting up software on my PC. The service is actually
provided in that particular case, by the company that makes the
router - they're running a dynamic DNS service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyndns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

List of some free and commercial dynamic DNS providers.

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/DNS/DNS_Providers/Dynamic_DNS/

The deal with this is, you shouldn't change the IP address of the
computer too frequently. One of the services will only support
one change every fifteen minutes. (If you make a nuisance of yourself
by changing addresses more frequently, they cut you off.) My setup
might average two different IP addresses per day, so I wouldn't have a
problem staying within the limits.

When your IP address changes, there is some delay before the DNS
tables are updated. So if you were attempting to run a commercial
enterprise, on top of a residential Internet service with a
dynamic IP, your customers would be none too happy. The service is
not entirely seamless, but it is better than nothing. It is in
your best interest, not to be changing the IP address that often.

*******

In terms of your other questions on surveillance cameras, it helps
to frame the question in terms of your requirements, or what you
hope to do. Surveillance cameras are a bit of a rip off (ask me how
I know this :-( ). They can easily be inappropriate for the situation.

You might record some activity, but later when you or police look
at the recorded footage, it might not be good enough to
identify anyone. If you take a 640x480 pixel camera and
film a football field, the faces are "three pixels high".
Don't expect miracles from the thing. You could easily
be throwing away your �250.00 . It all depends on what
you're trying to do with it.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5958600_ptz-motion-tracking-camera_.html

Paul
From: JD on
On 11/03/2010 9:46 PM, Paul wrote:
> John wrote:
>> If I want to run my own web server, can it be done with a dynamic IP
>> or do I really need to have a static one?
>>

> If your Internet service uses dynamic IP addresses like mine does,
> you use one of the many dyndns services. It is a method where
> your machine registers with a central machine, and a DNS entry is
> updated for your machine. That allows people external to you,
> to reach you with a symbolic address.
>
> If you're using a router with your cable or ADSL modem, the
> router may have a setup page in it, which registers the public
> IP address being used. My router has that feature in it, and
> since I'm using a router, I would use the router DDNS feature,
> rather than setting up software on my PC. The service is actually
> provided in that particular case, by the company that makes the
> router - they're running a dynamic DNS service.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyndns
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS
>
> List of some free and commercial dynamic DNS providers.
>
> http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/DNS/DNS_Providers/Dynamic_DNS/
>

> The deal with this is, you shouldn't change the IP address of the
> computer too frequently. One of the services will only support
> one change every fifteen minutes. (If you make a nuisance of yourself
> by changing addresses more frequently, they cut you off.) My setup
> might average two different IP addresses per day, so I wouldn't have a
> problem staying within the limits.
>
> When your IP address changes, there is some delay before the DNS
> tables are updated. So if you were attempting to run a commercial
> enterprise, on top of a residential Internet service with a
> dynamic IP, your customers would be none too happy. The service is
> not entirely seamless, but it is better than nothing. It is in
> your best interest, not to be changing the IP address that often.
>
> *******
>
> In terms of your other questions on surveillance cameras, it helps
> to frame the question in terms of your requirements, or what you
> hope to do. Surveillance cameras are a bit of a rip off (ask me how
> I know this :-( ). They can easily be inappropriate for the situation.
>
> You might record some activity, but later when you or police look
> at the recorded footage, it might not be good enough to
> identify anyone. If you take a 640x480 pixel camera and
> film a football field, the faces are "three pixels high".
> Don't expect miracles from the thing. You could easily
> be throwing away your �250.00 . It all depends on what
> you're trying to do with it.
>
> http://www.ehow.com/facts_5958600_ptz-motion-tracking-camera_.html
>
> Paul

Apart from the actual setting up of the web-server you have to also
consider the management/security aspects of it, there are also bandwidth
considerations if it is for public use (ISP's usually have caps and
limitations even if they claim to be unlimited) and check your ISP's
policy's on servers many if not most consumer ISP's specifically do not
allow you to run servers of any kind and may even block access from
outside its own network range.

If its for your IP CAM then there are probably better ways of setting it up.

regarding your IP Cam's I have some very limited experience with them,
as I set up a few for someone to monitor his disabled wife while he ran
errands, I think they were panasonic cams with pan & tilt, they come
with software that allows you to recorded and access them remotely, if
you have broadband with a dynamic ip then you can usually set your
router to never release the ip address, this isn't perfect tho.

JD