From: Anonymous User on
Hi,

We are getting a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error box that simply
says "Runtime Error!"

The "Program:" part has nothing past it.

I have some questions:

#1 - Is there a log file somewhere which may identify the process having the
error, or more detail we can look at?

#2 - Why might the program part be empty? I've seen plenty of web examples
where the process exe name is supposed to be specified.

#3 - How can I identify what process or EXE is causing the error?

#4 - If I can't identify it, is there a way to suppress or disable this
error message. We do not notice any change on this server or something not
working after the error...

Thanks,

Alan

From: Tom Serface on
Not sure how to address the issue, but I've had this problem before and, in
my case, it indicated a problem in a DLL that was early loaded before the
program name was assigned in the application. It could be a problem in
another DLL. It might look like your program is running OK, but perhaps it
will fail when you try something intrinsic to the extern lib that fails?

I don't know if this helps, but I figure it's always worth mentioning...

Tom

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on

I had one of these once and had to track it down by using Spy++ to examine the dialog box
and find its parent, its process ID, etc. My recollection was that the parent was NULL
and I had to use the process ID to find it; fortunately, I was able to get this from Spy++
and use Task Manager to determine which process it was.

I have no idea why it doesn't have the program name in it.

What runtime error? Ususlly it gives a number if not an explanation. The "Run Time
Error" message are usually lthe result of compiling module with one of the /RTC options,
and tend to be things like using uninitialized local variables, stack overflow, stack sync
errors (looke for CDECL/STDCALL errors), etc.
joe

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:06:34 -0600, "Anonymous User" <nospam38925(a)forme.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are getting a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error box that simply
>says "Runtime Error!"
>
>The "Program:" part has nothing past it.
>
>I have some questions:
>
>#1 - Is there a log file somewhere which may identify the process having the
>error, or more detail we can look at?
>
>#2 - Why might the program part be empty? I've seen plenty of web examples
>where the process exe name is supposed to be specified.
>
>#3 - How can I identify what process or EXE is causing the error?
>
>#4 - If I can't identify it, is there a way to suppress or disable this
>error message. We do not notice any change on this server or something not
>working after the error...
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alan

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Anonymous User on
Hi,

I couldn't find anything about Spy++ with a search.

I used a tool I wrote a long time ago to get a window handle of the window.
I then fed that to GetWindowThreadProcessId and got:

csrss.exe

Is this a normal process that needs the VC runtime library?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Well, then, I suggest you just use Spy++ and learn about it! It is a common misconception
that "a search" is going to turn up something useful, and that failure of "a search"
(whatever THAT means!) to turn up something useful means nothing useful exists. Spy++ is
found in the Visual Studio Tools menu item and you should learn to use it ar part of basic
Windows developer literacy.

Otherwise, you are going about it in a clumsy fashion. Learn to use the tools!
joe