From: Dave L. Renfro on
Marko Amnell wrote (in part):

> There is an interesting new book out about the
> history of Cantor's set theory.

[snip]

> Naming Infinity: A True Story of Religious Mysticism
> and Mathematical Creativity (Belknap Press) (Hardcover)
> by Loren Graham (Author), Jean-Michel Kantor (Author)

Thanks for mentioning this. I've read a lot about the
Luzin [Lusin] mathematical school, both because of some
interesting but little known real analysis work came
out of it (see [1]) and because, off-and-on, I've been
assembling/translating/organizing the historical
development of real analysis and descriptive set
theory (1870s to 1930s, mostly excluding the well
worn paths that lead directly to the Lebesgue, Denjoy,
etc. integrals during this time) -- see [2] for example.
Although I can tell this book isn't going to tell me
anything of significance mathematically, it definitely
looks like it will be useful for some of the historical
facts that can be very difficult to track down.

[1] Kantorov wrote a paper in 1932 that made explicit use
of what are now called porous sets. Kolmogorov wrote
a couple of papers in the mid 1930s on are called
contingents in Saks' "Theory of the Integral", and a lot
of follow-up work was done by F. I. Smidov in the following
decades, which also lead to some interesting but little
known papers in the late 1950s and 1960s by Tuy Hoang
and I. Ya. Plamennov and G. H. Sindalovskii). G. P. Tolstoff
wrote several papers in the 1940s and 1950s, including
one in 1942 that investigated fairly thoroughly what
one can say about the rate at which the Lebesgue density
converges to 1 for almost all points in a measurable set
(some, but not all, of these were independently rediscovered
by S. James Taylor in "On strengthening the Lebesgue density
theorem", Fundamenta Mathematicae 46 (1959), 305-315;
also, some of Tolstoff's results can be found on
pp. 466-468 of Volume 2 of Nina Bary's "A Treatise on
Trigonometric Series"). And there are many more examples
I could give.

[2] Mikhail Y. Suslin and Lebesgue's error
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/fb9d47de618ef57d

Dave L. Renfro
From: Marko Amnell on
On Sep 17, 9:49 pm, "Dave L. Renfro" <renfr...(a)cmich.edu> wrote:
> Marko Amnell wrote (in part):
>
> > There is an interesting new book out about the
> > history of Cantor's set theory.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Naming Infinity: A True Story of Religious Mysticism
> > and Mathematical Creativity (Belknap Press) (Hardcover)
> > by Loren Graham (Author), Jean-Michel Kantor (Author)
>
> Thanks for mentioning this. I've read a lot about the
> Luzin [Lusin] mathematical school, both because of some
> interesting but little known real analysis work came
> out of it (see [1]) and because, off-and-on, I've been
> assembling/translating/organizing the historical
> development of real analysis and descriptive set
> theory (1870s to 1930s, mostly excluding the well
> worn paths that lead directly to the Lebesgue, Denjoy,
> etc. integrals during this time) -- see [2] for example.
> Although I can tell this book isn't going to tell me
> anything of significance mathematically, it definitely
> looks like it will be useful for some of the historical
> facts that can be very difficult to track down.
>
> [1] Kantorov wrote a paper in 1932 that made explicit use
>     of what are now called porous sets. Kolmogorov wrote
>     a couple of papers in the mid 1930s on are called
>     contingents in Saks' "Theory of the Integral", and a lot
>     of follow-up work was done by F. I. Smidov in the following
>     decades, which also lead to some interesting but little
>     known papers in the late 1950s and 1960s by Tuy Hoang
>     and I. Ya. Plamennov and G. H. Sindalovskii). G. P. Tolstoff
>     wrote several papers in the 1940s and 1950s, including
>     one in 1942 that investigated fairly thoroughly what
>     one can say about the rate at which the Lebesgue density
>     converges to 1 for almost all points in a measurable set
>     (some, but not all, of these were independently rediscovered
>     by S. James Taylor in "On strengthening the Lebesgue density
>     theorem", Fundamenta Mathematicae 46 (1959), 305-315;
>     also, some of Tolstoff's results can be found on
>     pp. 466-468 of Volume 2 of Nina Bary's "A Treatise on
>     Trigonometric Series"). And there are many more examples
>     I could give.
>
> [2] Mikhail Y. Suslin and Lebesgue's error
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/fb9d47de618ef57d

Thanks for the link. Your [2] is an interesting post.

There is a good review of this book
by Jim Holt in the August 27 issue of
the London Review of Books:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n16/holt01_.html

Unfortunately, the LRB no longer provides
free access online to their articles.
But you can buy it as a PDF for £2.75.

From: Dave L. Renfro on
Marko Amnell wrote:

> Thanks for the link. Your [2] is an interesting post.

I just remembered that I made a more mathematical
follow-up to that post, which is in the same thread,
but in case anyone reading is interested and didn't
think to look at the rest of the thread . . .

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/714f47a4a2edc7ae

Dave L. Renfro
From: That One on

The general impression I've been getting is that Greater Russia (for
lack of a better term) was a hotbed of genius until Stalin fucked
everything up.

D.
From: Bappa on
On Sep 18, 3:42 am, Marko Amnell <marko.amn...(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> There is an interesting new book out about the
> history of Cantor's set theory. It seems to
> me that the book lends support to Feyerabend's
> philosophy of science in _Against Method_.
> Science can progress through *any* method,

Sorry, Marko, this is dead wrong. The only valid *method* in science
is the *experimental* method - meaning, repeatability of results under
controlled and same conditions. The rest is analysis and discussion.

This is what I was taught in my engineering institute (First Year) by
the profs. in the Humanities Dept. IIT Kharagur was the only IIT
where there was a firmly established and motivated Humanities
department.

> including the paradoxical fact that the progress
> of mathematics was aided by the mysticism
> of Russian mathematicians who accepted
> Cantor's set theory because it fit their
> mystical beliefs.

Now what has maths to do with science? The Queen of Arts is
Mathematics, and Science pays the most humble homage to Her.

Cheers,

Arindam Banerjee.