From: Sandy on
Keep getting the error message"Pri master Hard disk: SMART status BAD,
backup and replace " on the BIOS page when i boot up my laptop. Does this
mean the disk is damaged? It freezes during check disk and won't even
format!

Any suggestions?

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
Download the latest diagnostic software and utilities from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

From: Smiling face on
It may be. SMART is a BIOS utility which let you know when the hdd is
defective.

From: philo on

"Sandy" <sandymill(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Keep getting the error message"Pri master Hard disk: SMART status BAD,
> backup and replace " on the BIOS page when i boot up my laptop. Does this
> mean the disk is damaged? It freezes during check disk and won't even
> format!
>
> Any suggestions?

the drive is bad, yes

From: Ron Martell on
"Sandy" <sandymill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Keep getting the error message"Pri master Hard disk: SMART status BAD,
>backup and replace " on the BIOS page when i boot up my laptop. Does this
>mean the disk is damaged? It freezes during check disk and won't even
>format!
>
>Any suggestions?

Run, do not walk, to the nearest computer supply store and get a new
hard drive.

Your drive is about to die. If you procrastinate you risk losing any
chance of recovering your data from the drive, and you will still have
to replace it.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP