From: ykhan on
I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
Disk Manager.

All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
doesn't find any problems with it.

Yousuf Khan
From: none on
Do you already have a drive Z:?

Can you set a drive letter from Device Manager, under properties?

From: YKhan on
none wrote:
> Do you already have a drive Z:?
>
> Can you set a drive letter from Device Manager, under properties?

No, as I said, it doesn't show up as a disk under Disk Manager, but it
does show up as a device under Device Manager.

Yousuf Khan

From: Alan Walpool on

Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive. Hope this
works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive showup. Could
be something else.

Later,

Alan

ykhan> I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my
ykhan> laptop, it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything
ykhan> shows up fine in Device Manager, and a drive letter is
ykhan> assigned to it. When I put the same device onto my desktop,
ykhan> almost everything happens the same, except it doesn't get a
ykhan> drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in Disk Manager.

ykhan> All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second
ykhan> desktop PC with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens
ykhan> -- no drive letter, no recognition from Disk Manager, but
ykhan> Device Manager sees it fine doesn't find any problems with it.

ykhan> Yousuf Khan
From: Nicole on
Sorry Alan,
Can you please give me a step-by-step on that, as I am having the same
problem - device is installed and shows as working properly in Device
Manager, but does not show as a removable disk drive in the "My Computer"
window.

Thanks,
Nicole