From: Scott Alfter on
From: Franc Zabkar on
On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan(a)gmail.com (ykhan) put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>Disk Manager.

Is a USB pen/thumb/flash drive assigned a drive letter?

- Franc Zabkar
From: cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) on
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:51:05 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)ezrs.com>
>Bob Niland wrote:

>> Does XP support environment variable LASTDRIVE ?

>No, I haven't seen the lastdrive used since the DOS days

One of the things that can hide a drive letter in XP, is a network
share with the same drive letter. This applies both to USB sticks and
to hard drive volumes.

Suspect this if Drive Manager shows the device (drive, volume) but you
don't see it in Windows Explorer. Use Drive Manager to set a
different drive letter so that it escapes the shadow of the LAN share.

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
From: George Macdonald on
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:19:11 +0000, GSV Three Minds in a Can
<GSV(a)quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>Bitstring <vfdl21dblivmild0kmqitqedfrpcjpnv9n(a)4ax.com>, from the
>wonderful person George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com>
>said
>>On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan(a)gmail.com (ykhan) wrote:
>>
>>>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>>>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>>>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>>>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>>>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>>>Disk Manager.
>>>
>>>All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
>>>with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
>>>no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
>>>doesn't find any problems with it.
>>
>>Do you have partitions and/or network drives on your desktop? I've had
>>trouble with "collisions" between drive letters and I'm still not sure of
>>the rules - sometimes it seems that a drive letter "sticks" with removable
>>drives across systems. In Device Manager for the drive, from the Volumes
>>Tab click on Populate and see what drive letters it wants to use and a
>>possible collision, then go to Disk Management and fiddle with the drive
>>letters.
>
>They shouldn't stick across systems, but they will definitely stick
>across time - i.e. if a WinXP system has ever seen a formatted drive it
>will have the (last) drive letter stored in the registry, which can
>cause all sorts of confusion later. Usually it seems to work out OK, but
>sometimes ..

In a perfect world, GUIDs (Globally Unique IDs) *really* are unique.:-)
I've seen some oddball behavior which I cannot explain.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: YKhan on
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> Suspect this if Drive Manager shows the device (drive, volume) but
you
> don't see it in Windows Explorer. Use Drive Manager to set a
> different drive letter so that it escapes the shadow of the LAN
share.

No, "Drive" Manager (actually is "Disk" Manager, but I know what you
meant) is not showing it at all as a volume. If it showed up in Disk
Manager, I would've known what to do with it then.

Strangely enough, now this drive is not showing up on its original home
either, where it was working previously. I'm going to have see what
else is going on here, maybe something got shaken loose while I was
transporting it?

Yousuf Khan