From: George Macdonald on
On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan(a)gmail.com (ykhan) wrote:

>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>Disk Manager.
>
>All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
>with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
>no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
>doesn't find any problems with it.

Do you have partitions and/or network drives on your desktop? I've had
trouble with "collisions" between drive letters and I'm still not sure of
the rules - sometimes it seems that a drive letter "sticks" with removable
drives across systems. In Device Manager for the drive, from the Volumes
Tab click on Populate and see what drive letters it wants to use and a
possible collision, then go to Disk Management and fiddle with the drive
letters.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: Nicole on
Okay - I have sorted it out! The PC had assigned the same drive letter to
the USB drive as to a network drive. I went into Disk Management, (through
Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management) and re-assigned a
different (unused) drive letter to the USB drive - problem solved!

Thanks for the other posts, which helped me look in the right direction!

Nicole

From: GSV Three Minds in a Can on
Bitstring <vfdl21dblivmild0kmqitqedfrpcjpnv9n(a)4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com>
said
>On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan(a)gmail.com (ykhan) wrote:
>
>>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>>Disk Manager.
>>
>>All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
>>with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
>>no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
>>doesn't find any problems with it.
>
>Do you have partitions and/or network drives on your desktop? I've had
>trouble with "collisions" between drive letters and I'm still not sure of
>the rules - sometimes it seems that a drive letter "sticks" with removable
>drives across systems. In Device Manager for the drive, from the Volumes
>Tab click on Populate and see what drive letters it wants to use and a
>possible collision, then go to Disk Management and fiddle with the drive
>letters.

They shouldn't stick across systems, but they will definitely stick
across time - i.e. if a WinXP system has ever seen a formatted drive it
will have the (last) drive letter stored in the registry, which can
cause all sorts of confusion later. Usually it seems to work out OK, but
sometimes ..

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.
From: Robert Myers on
On 5 Mar 2005 19:55:05 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>none wrote:
>> Do you already have a drive Z:?
>>
>> Can you set a drive letter from Device Manager, under properties?
>
>No, as I said, it doesn't show up as a disk under Disk Manager, but it
>does show up as a device under Device Manager.

How do the device driver details compare on the two machines?

RM

From: Yousuf Khan on
Alan Walpool wrote:
> Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive. Hope this
> works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive showup. Could
> be something else.

Didn't work.

I heard somewhere that the USB mass storage driver doesn't seem to work
in a system with more than one hard drive (which is the case for all of
my desktops)?

Yousuf Khan