From: YKhan on
Leo wrote:
> My USB drive works fine on a system with two other hard drives.
>
> Get TweakUI and be sure to set last drive to Z.

I did check it out with TweakUI originally.

Yousuf Khan

From: YKhan on
Scott Alfter wrote:
> I'm assuming that the drive is already partitioned and formatted.
When you
> plug it into your desktop and bring up the Disk Management plugin, is
it not
> showing up at all? The drive and its partitions should show up
there,
> whether one or more drive letters are allocated to the drive or not.
I've
> had parts of flash-card readers not get drive letters when they're
plugged
> in because they were already taken by network shares or other drives;
going
> into Disk Management and reassigning drive letters has always cleared
up the
> problem for me.

Yeah, it was already partitioned and formatted. In fact, it was
carrying some data for me that I wanted to transfer between a couple of
my machines, which I was not able to transfer because of this problem.

It's like as if the partition has gone totally missing. Actually even
if it was a completely blank unpartitioned disk, it would still show up
inside disk manager which would then give me the option to partition
and format it. But it doesn't show that.

Yousuf Khan

From: YKhan on
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan(a)gmail.com (ykhan) put finger to
> keyboard and composed:
>
> >I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my
laptop,
> >it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine
in
> >Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
> >same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
> >except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it
in
> >Disk Manager.
>
> Is a USB pen/thumb/flash drive assigned a drive letter?

Usually yes.

Were you asking a question or making an observation?

Yousuf Khan

From: Franc Zabkar on
On 7 Mar 2005 11:05:26 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>> On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan(a)gmail.com (ykhan) put finger to
>> keyboard and composed:
>>
>> >I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my
>laptop,
>> >it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine
>in
>> >Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>> >same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>> >except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it
>in
>> >Disk Manager.
>>
>> Is a USB pen/thumb/flash drive assigned a drive letter?
>
>Usually yes.
>
>Were you asking a question or making an observation?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Sorry, I realised just after posting that my question may have been
ambiguous. What I was asking was whether a flash drive is assigned a
drive letter on *your* system in its present state. If so, then this
could shed some light on any LASTDRIVE issue, ie it could confirm
whether additional drive letters were available. Does the USB HD's
drive letter show up in Device Manager but not in Explorer, or is it
missing from both? Is it possible that the drive letter is hidden
(Tweakui should be able to tell you this)? If you switch to a command
prompt, can you see the HD using a DIR command?

- Franc Zabkar
From: George Macdonald on
On 7 Mar 2005 10:55:10 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
>> Suspect this if Drive Manager shows the device (drive, volume) but
>you
>> don't see it in Windows Explorer. Use Drive Manager to set a
>> different drive letter so that it escapes the shadow of the LAN
>share.
>
>No, "Drive" Manager (actually is "Disk" Manager, but I know what you
>meant) is not showing it at all as a volume. If it showed up in Disk
>Manager, I would've known what to do with it then.
>
>Strangely enough, now this drive is not showing up on its original home
>either, where it was working previously. I'm going to have see what
>else is going on here, maybe something got shaken loose while I was
>transporting it?

Does it still show in Device Manager as a drive? If so what does Populate
show?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald