From: daytripper on
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 02:27:47 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)ezrs.com> wrote:

>Alan Walpool wrote:
>> Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive. Hope this
>> works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive showup. Could
>> be something else.
>
>Didn't work.
>
>I heard somewhere that the USB mass storage driver doesn't seem to work
>in a system with more than one hard drive (which is the case for all of
>my desktops)?
>
> Yousuf Khan

I have 6 sca drives across two hbas, four optical drives, and 3 emulated CDs,
a SM/CF combo usb mass storage device plus a "thumb drive", all running under
XP Pro. No issues.

I think you're still missing a driver. Maybe the chipset drivers didn't
install correctly?

/daytripper
From: Yousuf Khan on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2005 19:55:05 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> How do the device driver details compare on the two machines?

They're almost identical, except for the no drive letter thingy.
Actually I don't have access to that machine where it's working right
now, that's in Montreal. I use (or was planning to use) this USB hard
disk to transfer files back and forth between my two setups in Ottawa
and Montreal (whereas previously I used to bring the whole laptop with
me when coming back to Ottawa).

Yousuf Khan
From: Bob Niland on
> none <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> Do you already have a drive Z:?

Does XP support environment variable LASTDRIVE ?
If so, is there any chance it's set to something
other than Z ?

My guess is that this isn't a productive line of
inquiry, as my various Win2K docs are entirely
silent on the topic, so chances are it's not an
XP feature.

--
Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name(a)ispname.tld
From: Leo on
My USB drive works fine on a system with two other hard drives.

Get TweakUI and be sure to set last drive to Z.

--

LEO

The supply of government exceeds the demand.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Bob Niland wrote:
> Does XP support environment variable LASTDRIVE ?
> If so, is there any chance it's set to something
> other than Z ?

No, I haven't seen the lastdrive used since the DOS days, and even then
in the last days of DOS, they were already defaulting to Lastdrive of Z.
I have plenty of drive letters available, just none of them are used
by this drive.

Yousuf Khan