From: "Paul Hutchings" on
After a little guidance on what those of you using Postfix as a gateway are using for doing s/mime email encryption?

I did some digging and it seems you can get certificates that authenticate a company for s/mime rather than needing to authenticate each individual using a cert on their MUA.

Of course Postfix can't do this, but I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on what can, and (importantly) what integrates easily with Postfix?

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England.

Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
VAT Registration GB 114 5409 96

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the intended recipient.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.
You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 06:36:59PM +0100, Paul Hutchings wrote:

> After a little guidance on what those of you using Postfix as a gateway
> are using for doing s/mime email encryption?

S/MIME is in theory an MUA issue, MTAs just move the mail. This said, if
an end-to-end approach is not for you (as it is for most users), and you
want gateway to gateway security, by far the most widely adopted is TLS,
but this naturally protects only the first hop, and works one direction
at a time, so it is difficult for a recipient to audit sender policy.

A number of vendors offer gateway-to-gateway S/MIME support in the form
of border email security "appliances". I am not in a position to endorse
or specifically recommend any of these, but a *partial* list (sorted from
shortest to longest URL) should help you to search in the right direction:

- http://www.pgp.com/products/universal_server/index.html
- http://www.entrust.com/email-security/messaging-server/index.htm
- http://www.tumbleweed.com/products/mailgate/secure_messenger.html
- http://www.ironport.com/resources/datasheet_ironport_encryption.html
- http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/email_and_web_security/email/email_gateway.html

> I did some digging and it seems you can get certificates that
> authenticate a company for s/mime rather than needing to authenticate
> each individual using a cert on their MUA.

The type of certificates required or supported by the various gateways
is product dependent. Note that for S/MIME it is not enough to be able
to authenticate a certificate when it is presented, one actually needs
to have the relevant public keys on hand to initiate encryption, and
given lack of the mythical global X.500 directory in which such certs are
published securely, keys are deployed manually, at which point signatures
by a trusted third party are less important (but some products will still
want these).

Some of the certificates will be "proxy certificates", and various other
product-specific characteristics will arise, but there is little that
one can generally say beyond "follow the vendor's" directions.

I am not aware of any open-source S/MIME gateway, if someone has a pointer
to something reasonably well-designed/robust, perhaps they will step
forward with a suitable pointer.

--
Viktor.

From: "martijn.list" on
You can try Djigzo (http://www.djigzo.com/). It's an open source email
encryption gateway with support for S/MIME and PDF encryption (with
support for random generated passwords via SMS gateway).

You can install it on your own system (.tar and .deb files available) or
you can use the provided VMware virtual appliance.

By default it uses Postfix for the delivery of email and it's therefore
easy to integrate with your existing Postfix solution (for example
combine it with an existing virus scanner).

More information available on www.djigzo.com

Martijn Brinkers

--
Djigzo open source email encryption