From: Ken Barz on
I have 9.2 running on a 64 bit Vista machine. It runs great, but it did install itself into the 32 bit program files path (which I assume means that my SAS 9.2 is a 32 bit version.)

I've really had no trouble with my two Vista machines post service pack 1, however "they" say that Windows 7 comes out 10/22. If there's a bad review out there, I've not heard it yet. So far, everything sounds positive.
Ken

Anyone have any experience with SAS on 64 bit (Windows) systems (I was asked specifically about Win 7, but I believe there is only a 64 bit Vista in general release). I have only just received a copy of SAS 9.2 for 64 bit systems (but have no system to test on).

will the 32-bit versions work on 64 bit systems (Have not been told, but assume these are X86-64)?
--Joe
From: rjf2 on
> From: F. J. Kelley
> Subject: SAS and 64 bit systems
>
> Anyone have any experience with SAS on 64 bit (Windows)
> systems (I was asked specifically about Win 7, but I believe
> there is only a 64 bit Vista in general release). I have
> only just received a copy of SAS 9.2 for 64 bit systems (but
> have no system to test on).
>
> will the 32-bit versions work on 64 bit systems (Have not
> been told, but assume these are X86-64)?

went round and round with users last year
who wanted to import *.xls into Win 64-bit SAS

knot!

solution: install SAS 32-bit for importing

so, yes: can install both 32-bit and 64-bit SAS on Win 64-bit

Ronald J. Fehd, IT Spec
HelpDesk Level 3: SAS
From: Savian on
On Sep 16, 5:33 pm, zrab...(a)COMCAST.NET (Ken Barz) wrote:
> I have 9.2 running on a 64 bit Vista machine. It runs great, but it did install itself into the 32 bit program files path (which I assume means that my SAS 9.2 is a 32 bit version.)
>
> I've really had no trouble with my two Vista machines post service pack 1, however "they" say that Windows 7 comes out 10/22. If there's a bad review out there, I've not heard it yet. So far, everything sounds positive.
> Ken

Ken,

I am running Windows 7 on multiple machines. It is great. A couple of
minor changes that I don't like but overall it is zippy and nice to
work with.

Alan
From: jkelley on
Thanks to everyone for this, I am sending it on to the interested
parties. I _am_ a bit concerned with Ron's solution to the importing
of xls files:
"solution: install SAS 32-bit for importing "

geeze. Ron, is this an issue only for .xls or does it affect .xlsx
files as well?
--Joe

From: rjf2 on
> From: jkelley
> Subject: Re: SAS and 64 bit systems
>
> Thanks to everyone for this, I am sending it on to the interested
> parties. I _am_ a bit concerned with Ron's solution to the importing
> of xls files:
> "solution: install SAS 32-bit for importing "
>
> geeze. Ron, is this an issue only for .xls or does it affect .xlsx
> files as well?
> --Joe

Hi Joe

welcome to 21st century computering!

this was a thread I had last year, w/v9.2, phase 1
so v9.2.2 -may- have solved this.

back then
The Little Birdie I talked to went to great lengths
to politely and civilly inform me that
-- much to my surprise --
Win 64 is much more unix-like
and therefore,
SAS (64) would not read Windows 32-bit application-specific files
aka known as Excel (32) files

every heard your computer application say: "it's greek to me"?

that said, I just had a call from our IT tech support in another city
w/user having a 64-bit system
who wanted partitions of either memory or hard-drive,
so they could run SAS (64) in the background for hours
and still continue to answer e-mail and write Word docs.

note: I am unsure that Windows (64) runs MS-ofc suite (64)
or whether MS-ofc suite is 32-bit.

on the horizon: SAS (128)

Ronald J. Fehd, IT Spec
HelpDesk Level 3: SAS