From: DaveJohnson12 on
What length cable do I need for a second hard drive in an Optiplex 755?
It looks like the one in there is about 25 inches with a right angle connector but I'm not
sure because I didn't remove the cable to measure it. It's in an area that's hard to get
my fingers into.

The only lengths I have seen at most sites have been 18, 20 and 40 inches for SATA II
cables.

Does it matter if I get one that's too long like 40 inches?

Is there a difference between SATA and SATA II cables?

Thanks.
From: Christopher Muto on
<DaveJohnson12(a)nomail.> wrote in message
> What length cable do I need for a second hard drive in an Optiplex 755?
> It looks like the one in there is about 25 inches with a right angle
> connector but I'm not
> sure because I didn't remove the cable to measure it. It's in an area
> that's hard to get
> my fingers into.
>
> The only lengths I have seen at most sites have been 18, 20 and 40 inches
> for SATA II
> cables.
>
> Does it matter if I get one that's too long like 40 inches?
>
> Is there a difference between SATA and SATA II cables?
>
> Thanks.

i don't think you need a long cable in this model, and when they are long
they just get sort of sloppy and inthe way when you do other things in the
case. since windows is damaged on your current drive, why not just go to
bestbuy and purchase the 1tb western digital caviar black that you wanted.
it is $99 there and it is in a retail pack which means that it comes
bundeled with a data cable.

From: DaveJohnson12 on
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:25:30 -0400, "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

><DaveJohnson12(a)nomail.> wrote in message
>> What length cable do I need for a second hard drive in an Optiplex 755?
>> It looks like the one in there is about 25 inches with a right angle
>> connector but I'm not
>> sure because I didn't remove the cable to measure it. It's in an area
>> that's hard to get
>> my fingers into.
>>
>> The only lengths I have seen at most sites have been 18, 20 and 40 inches
>> for SATA II
>> cables.
>>
>> Does it matter if I get one that's too long like 40 inches?
>>
>> Is there a difference between SATA and SATA II cables?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>i don't think you need a long cable in this model, and when they are long
>they just get sort of sloppy and inthe way when you do other things in the
>case. since windows is damaged on your current drive, why not just go to
>bestbuy and purchase the 1tb western digital caviar black that you wanted.
>it is $99 there and it is in a retail pack which means that it comes
>bundeled with a data cable.

I was going to do that today. They have it at the Best Buy in my area.
I decided to order the OEM version because the retail version is a slightly different hard
drive, an older model. I called Western Digital today and asked if they were the same. At
newegg the percentage of people who bought the OEM drive and don't like it is very low.
The retail drive is probably very similar in reliabilty but I decided not to take a
chance. Thank you for replying to my newbie question.

I wonder if there are different kinds of SATA cables. I see some are rated for 3 Gb/s and
some drives can reach 3 Gb/s but earlier SATA drives were (I think) slower 1.5 Gb/s.