From: Andrew E. on
Ever thought of reading the owners manual....Either way,SATA 2 or 3 hds
are no big deal to any SATA controller,even 6 or 7 year old MBs should
have no problems what so ever..The problems with SATA & RAID set-up
usually lye in the improper user settings in the BIOS..Most SATA/RAID
controllers
are disabled by the mfg,by default.Enable in usually,advanced
chipset,"Integrated
Peripherals" or similiar,also,set for IDE use if needed,after set boot
priority.After
BIOS,create a RAID set,boot to xp cd,press F6 option..

From: pucicu on

Dear all,

thank you very much for your helpful responses! In particular, Bob's
remarks are very helpful.

Andrew: In the bios there is only a setting for "ATA boot rom" and this
was already enabled. There are no other settings for SATA devices. There
isn't any setting for an IDE compatibility. Perhaps this appears only in
newer MBs.

Bob: In the manual of the MB there are also note on these Raid
settings. But it say, I should press the Tab button. I have tried this
many times, but I'm not able to enter the Raid settings. The button is
just ignored. Several days ago I had the same idea of what you have
explained here. But, because I couldn't enter the raid settings, I
suspected that it is perhaps not on the board. I have no idea how can
enter this Raid settings alternatively.

Best regards
pucicu

From: SC Tom on

"pucicu" <pucicu.3yhuvb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Dear all,
>
> I have an ASUS A7V600-X board with Award Bios (updated to the latest
> available version), and with VT8377/VT8237 North- and Southbridge.
>
> Now I would like to use a SATA II harddrive. It is a Hitachi 500 GB
> drive: HI T7K500 500 SA. I know that VT8237 may have problems with SATA
> II. But at the moment, even windows XP is not correctly starting the VIA
> Raid/SCSI device. I have tried to install different versions of the
> corresponding VIA drivers for VT8237. But in Windows device manager, I
> see that it is not started but failed. In the readme.txt of the driver,
> I found in a folder BIOS two rom files (e.g. 6420R230.rom), and a note
> that it is a SATA RAID BIOS. Later it in this file I found
>
> "Make sure VT6420 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST."
>
> But I don't know (1) how to check that this BIOS is executed and if
> not, (2) how to tell the BIOS that it should execute this.
>
> Moreover, in the BIOS I cannot find any settings releated to the
> onboard SATA interface.
>
> Does anyone have an idea, how I can get access to the SATA II drive?
>
> Thank you very!
> Best regards
> Pucicu
>

> --
> pucicu
> pucicu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/135120.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/1246404.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

If you're trying to set up RAID, you'll need two identical drives unless
you're setting up JBOD. But even that doesn't mention using an IDE drive
(section 3.4 in the manual). Then in section 3.4.2, in the VIA Tech RAID
BIOS set-up, it doesn't show anything but ". . .attached to VIA IDE
Controller." I'm not sure you're going to be able to accomplish what you
want to do.

Here's a link to the manual in case you don't have one:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600-x/e1873_a7v600-x.pdf

SC Tom

From: pucicu on

Dear all,

because there is no solution using the original motherboard, I have now
installed an additional SATA controller (PCI card). Now it is working.

Best regards
Pucicu

From: Mr. Smith on
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:27:45 +0530, pucicu
<pucicu.3yp9jc(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>because there is no solution using the original motherboard, I have now
>installed an additional SATA controller (PCI card). Now it is working.
>
>Best regards
>Pucicu

Too bad nobody knows what you are really talking about. Learn how to
post properly please