From: Kenny on
Need a new DVDRW to replace failing IDE unit.
M/B supports both SATA and IDE, there's one SATA port used for HDD and one
free.
Is there any difference performance wise?

--
Kenny Cargill

From: philo on
Kenny wrote:
> Need a new DVDRW to replace failing IDE unit.
> M/B supports both SATA and IDE, there's one SATA port used for HDD and one
> free.
> Is there any difference performance wise?

For a DVDRW it would make no real difference

I'd probably just get an IDE device and save the SATA port for the
possibility of adding another HD.
From: Kenny on
Thanks for the reply, have ordered an IDE unit.

Kenny

From: philo on
Mary Hanna wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:12:09 -0000, "Kenny" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, have ordered an IDE unit.
>>
>> Kenny
>> "philo" <philo(a)privacy.invalid> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> For a DVDRW it would make no real difference
>>>
>>> I'd probably just get an IDE device and save the SATA port for the
>>> possibility of adding another HD.
>

> Not a good move when you upgrade, new MoBos only have one IDE Port.

I can't agree with that as the OP only had one spare SATA channel

more important for a HD if he adds one

plus if he did upgrade to a board with only one IDE channel
he could still use the DVD.
IDE/ATA hard drives are getting hard to even find now