From: Poppe on
Hello

When i use a USB 3G-modem dongle and start the connection, the computer
freezes. I'm unable to open start menu or programs.

If i disconnect the connection or remove the USB dongle, everything works
fine. And the programs i tried to open before, pop-up instantly. As if they
were waiting me to close the connection or remove the USB device.

The machine has USB 2.0 compatibility, and i tried with windows xp home and
pro.

what is causing the problem?
Thanks

From: Paul on
Poppe wrote:
> Hello
>
> When i use a USB 3G-modem dongle and start the connection, the computer
> freezes. I'm unable to open start menu or programs.
>
> If i disconnect the connection or remove the USB dongle, everything works
> fine. And the programs i tried to open before, pop-up instantly. As if they
> were waiting me to close the connection or remove the USB device.
>
> The machine has USB 2.0 compatibility, and i tried with windows xp home and
> pro.
>
> what is causing the problem?
> Thanks

If you hold down the shift key while plugging the device in,
does it freeze then ?

This device, for example, has some flash memory in CDFS format,
which apparently autoruns when plugged in. If the contents of
that CDFS were corrupted, perhaps holding down the shift key
would prevent the software from loading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei_E220

That is just the first step.

Maybe you could name the make and model number of the device.
That makes it easier to search for a match.

Paul
From: Poppe on
I need to add this information:

Under "Universal serial bus controllers" in Device Manager:

I do not have "USB 2.0 Root Hub", only "USB Root Hub".
But there is two "Intel ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced host controller"

Does this mean the PC does has USB 2.0 compatibility or not?

Thanks

From: Ian D on

From: Shenan Stanley on
Poppe wrote:
> Hello
>
> When i use a USB 3G-modem dongle and start the connection, the
> computer freezes. I'm unable to open start menu or programs.
>
> If i disconnect the connection or remove the USB dongle, everything
> works fine. And the programs i tried to open before, pop-up
> instantly. As if they were waiting me to close the connection or
> remove the USB device.
>
> The machine has USB 2.0 compatibility, and i tried with windows xp
> home and pro.
>
> what is causing the problem?

Install the latest motherboard chipset drivers.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

 |  Next  |  Last