From: Ian D on

"Poppe" <Poppe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> When i use a USB 3G-modem dongle and start the connection, the computer
> freezes. I'm unable to open start menu or programs.
>
> If i disconnect the connection or remove the USB dongle, everything works
> fine. And the programs i tried to open before, pop-up instantly. As if
> they
> were waiting me to close the connection or remove the USB device.
>
> The machine has USB 2.0 compatibility, and i tried with windows xp home
> and
> pro.
>
> what is causing the problem?
> Thanks

If you don't already have it, download Process Explorer from
here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Have it running as Always on top, then insert your modem and
start the connection. Process Explorer will show what process
is hogging the CPU cycles. One item to check is hardware
interrupts. It is possible the dongle could be generating constant
hardware interrupt requests when it starts the connection process,
due to faulty drivers. Hardware interrupts have priority over all
software processes.

From: Poppe on

Hi

I ran the process explorer. When the freezing occurs, the CPU is 100% idle,
and i'm still unable to open windows. Even the Start-menu jams up.

Only thing that uses processor while jamming is the process explorer
software, and it used it a very little.

When i disconnect or remove the USB-dongle, everything works again.

It's like putting the PC to deep freeze when using the USB device.

From: Poppe on
Hi

There are two "Enhanced" entries, like you thought.
But there is no "USB 2.0 Root hub" only "USB Root hub" devices.

The USB device i'm using is under one of those "USB Root hub" when i check
the "power" page, next to "general" page.

Can i plug USB device to any port, and it will be USB 2.0 compatible?

Thanks

From: Paul on
Poppe wrote:
> Hi
>
> There are two "Enhanced" entries, like you thought.
> But there is no "USB 2.0 Root hub" only "USB Root hub" devices.
>
> The USB device i'm using is under one of those "USB Root hub" when i check
> the "power" page, next to "general" page.
>
> Can i plug USB device to any port, and it will be USB 2.0 compatible?
>
> Thanks

Yes, I would expect you to get USB2 by using any of the ports.
It should be available.

There are some much older motherboards, where two chips were used
for USB. That meant some ports were USB 1.1 only, while others
were USB2. But that was a long time ago.

Paul
From: Ian D on

> Hi
>
> I ran the process explorer. When the freezing occurs, the CPU is 100%
> idle,
> and i'm still unable to open windows. Even the Start-menu jams up.
>
> Only thing that uses processor while jamming is the process explorer
> software, and it used it a very little.
>
> When i disconnect or remove the USB-dongle, everything works again.
>
> It's like putting the PC to deep freeze when using the USB device.

If the CPU usage is 100% idle, the freezes must be a hardware
issue. It looks like the dongle is locking up the Southbridge USB
I/O controller when it's activated, and blocking all other USB devices.
That's why the system is not responding to your keyboard or mouse
inputs. It's not affecting the CPU operation, or previously running
apps, so it's not seizing the total system. It's most likely a driver
issue with the dongle.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: SATA or IDE DVDRW?