From: Arno on
Bob Willard <BobwBSGS(a)trashthis.comcast.net> wrote:
> Arno wrote:
[...]
>> RAID5/6 is more I/O intensive. CPU load does not matter even
>> there, unless your CPU is really, really slow or you have
>> a RAID6 with 2 drives missing. Just to give you a number,
>> my old AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ does 5.2GB/s for an undegraded,
>> Linux software RAID6. So you need something like 20 current
>> SSDs in one RAID6 array to saturate one core.
>>
>> What does matter is that you have a fast datapath to the
>> controller. PCI-E attached SATA controllers are typically
>> fine.
>>
>> Arno

> Interesting. Have you measured the CPU overhead caused by
> continuous writes to a software-based RAID5/6 RAIDset on
> relatively current CPUs? I ask, because I have not had the
> opportunity to do so for a few years.

Sorry, this is just the boot-time benchmark that Linux does.
I do not have a RAID5/6 running at the moment, just RAID1
(one of them 3-way) arrays. But I supect these numbers are
accurate and will give you something like <10% CPU for
continuous writes on a 4 disk RAID6 and maybe around 20%
on a 8 disk one. I may have a chance to run benckarks on
a 8 disk Software RAID6 in the next few days though. Will
post in that case.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Rod Speed on
William R. Walsh wrote

>> What types of drives can be used in AHCI mode?

> Any serial ATA drive can be used with a host controller operating in AHCI mode.

> The difference is mainly for the software that works with the drive.
> An operating system will likely need a driver to recognize the serial
> ATA controller when it's running in AHCI or RAID mode.

>> What types of drives can NOT be used in AHCI mode?
>> Are there any Windows XP AHCI drivers?

> You get the drivers from your hardware, chipset or
> motherboard manufacturer. For Windows XP and earlier,
> you will need to slipstream them (difficult from what I hear

Nope, very easy.