From: Andrew Gabriel on
I'm wondering what current state of SATA support on x86 is.
I inserted a dual channel Silicon Image 3112A card into a
system (not a RAID card, no BIOS on the card). Solaris sees
it and recognises it as a disk controller, and creates two
empty IDE device nodes on it in the device tree. Looking
good I thought. However, it can't see any drives attached
to the card. I get two console messages (presumably one
for each port):

ata_id_common: BUSY status 0xfe error 0x0
ata_id_common: BUSY status 0xfe error 0x0

Looking at the source,
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/intel/io/dktp/controller/ata/ata_common.c#ata_id_common
this is due to the ATA BUSY status bit not clearing after
issuing the IDENTITY command to the disk. Is this due to
some problem with my disks, or would I not expect the driver
to work yet with native SATA controllers which don't have a
BIOS to emulate an ATA interface? (I get same error if disks
are connected or not.) My knowledge of ATA protocol predates
the existance of SATA drives.

--
Andrew Gabriel
From: Thommy M. on
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> I'm wondering what current state of SATA support on x86 is.
> I inserted a dual channel Silicon Image 3112A card into a
> system (not a RAID card, no BIOS on the card). Solaris sees
> it and recognises it as a disk controller, and creates two
> empty IDE device nodes on it in the device tree. Looking
> good I thought. However, it can't see any drives attached
> to the card. I get two console messages (presumably one
> for each port):
>
> ata_id_common: BUSY status 0xfe error 0x0
> ata_id_common: BUSY status 0xfe error 0x0
>
> Looking at the source,
> http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/intel/io/dktp/controller/ata/ata_common.c#ata_id_common
> this is due to the ATA BUSY status bit not clearing after
> issuing the IDENTITY command to the disk. Is this due to
> some problem with my disks, or would I not expect the driver
> to work yet with native SATA controllers which don't have a
> BIOS to emulate an ATA interface? (I get same error if disks
> are connected or not.) My knowledge of ATA protocol predates
> the existance of SATA drives.

The 3112A is reported to work at the HCL

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sol/components/details/801.html

Have you tested the card and/or disks in other environments?
From: Casper H.S. Dik on
andrew(a)cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

>I'm wondering what current state of SATA support on x86 is.
>I inserted a dual channel Silicon Image 3112A card into a
>system (not a RAID card, no BIOS on the card). Solaris sees
>it and recognises it as a disk controller, and creates two
>empty IDE device nodes on it in the device tree. Looking
>good I thought. However, it can't see any drives attached
>to the card. I get two console messages (presumably one
>for each port):

The Sil 3112 chipsets supposedly is "Parallel ATA register compatible",
so it should work as an ordinary PATA disk.

>issuing the IDENTITY command to the disk. Is this due to
>some problem with my disks, or would I not expect the driver
>to work yet with native SATA controllers which don't have a
>BIOS to emulate an ATA interface? (I get same error if disks
>are connected or not.) My knowledge of ATA protocol predates
>the existance of SATA drives.

Are you sure a BIOS is needed to emulate PATA? Certainly there's
no native SATA support for these (there for the Silicon Image Si3124/3132)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.
From: Andrew Gabriel on
In article <45bcd5ba$0$326$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>,
Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik(a)Sun.COM> writes:
> andrew(a)cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:
>
>>I'm wondering what current state of SATA support on x86 is.
>>I inserted a dual channel Silicon Image 3112A card into a
>>system (not a RAID card, no BIOS on the card). Solaris sees
>>it and recognises it as a disk controller, and creates two
>>empty IDE device nodes on it in the device tree. Looking
>>good I thought. However, it can't see any drives attached
>>to the card. I get two console messages (presumably one
>>for each port):
>
> The Sil 3112 chipsets supposedly is "Parallel ATA register compatible",
> so it should work as an ordinary PATA disk.
>
>>issuing the IDENTITY command to the disk. Is this due to
>>some problem with my disks, or would I not expect the driver
>>to work yet with native SATA controllers which don't have a
>>BIOS to emulate an ATA interface? (I get same error if disks
>>are connected or not.) My knowledge of ATA protocol predates
>>the existance of SATA drives.
>
> Are you sure a BIOS is needed to emulate PATA? Certainly there's
> no native SATA support for these (there for the Silicon Image Si3124/3132)

No I'm not sure. In browsing around I see the RAID BIOS
versions don't work with Solaris, and I've seen references
to reflashing with the non-RAID BIOS to make those cards work.
My card has no BIOS.

--
Andrew Gabriel
From: Conwyn on
Hi Everybody

It was reported some time ago that the Sil0680 PATA worked as a consequence
of Sun supporting the Silicon Image SATA card. Although the Sun web site
implies it is ATA/IDE emulation. I have a RAID Sil0680 card and there is now
an OpenSolaris bug
Bug ID 6369927
Synopsis Provide method for enabling Silicon Image 0680 RAID
controller as plain ATA controller.

I receive replies about disabling the BIOS etc but Lunix Ubuntu supports the
Sil 0680 (RAID as PATA) so I do not why sun can not address this issue.

Regards Conwyn

"Andrew Gabriel" <andrew(a)cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <45bcd5ba$0$326$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>,
> Casper H.S. Dik <Casper.Dik(a)Sun.COM> writes:
>> andrew(a)cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:
>>
>>>I'm wondering what current state of SATA support on x86 is.
>>>I inserted a dual channel Silicon Image 3112A card into a
>>>system (not a RAID card, no BIOS on the card). Solaris sees
>>>it and recognises it as a disk controller, and creates two
>>>empty IDE device nodes on it in the device tree. Looking
>>>good I thought. However, it can't see any drives attached
>>>to the card. I get two console messages (presumably one
>>>for each port):
>>
>> The Sil 3112 chipsets supposedly is "Parallel ATA register compatible",
>> so it should work as an ordinary PATA disk.
>>
>>>issuing the IDENTITY command to the disk. Is this due to
>>>some problem with my disks, or would I not expect the driver
>>>to work yet with native SATA controllers which don't have a
>>>BIOS to emulate an ATA interface? (I get same error if disks
>>>are connected or not.) My knowledge of ATA protocol predates
>>>the existance of SATA drives.
>>
>> Are you sure a BIOS is needed to emulate PATA? Certainly there's
>> no native SATA support for these (there for the Silicon Image
>> Si3124/3132)
>
> No I'm not sure. In browsing around I see the RAID BIOS
> versions don't work with Solaris, and I've seen references
> to reflashing with the non-RAID BIOS to make those cards work.
> My card has no BIOS.
>
> --
> Andrew Gabriel

 |  Next  |  Last