From: aeschere on
I have replaced my SB Live! with an SB Audigy SE. I am running Fedora
Core 5. My problem is that my machine locks up in X (xorg) when I
enable the sound system. I tried alsamixer and it sometime works. If it
doesn't, I get the following error message:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

I have tried this on the following kernels:
2.6.16.16
2.6.16.24
2.6.17.3
2.6.18-rc1

2.6.18-rc1 seemed to work the best, but the Nvidia drivers will not
compile under that version. It give the error that it can't identify
the version of the kernel.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks,

Mike
From: chuckcar on
aeschere <aeschere(a)nospam.com> wrote in

> I have replaced my SB Live! with an SB Audigy SE. I am running Fedora
> Core 5. My problem is that my machine locks up in X (xorg) when I
> enable the sound system. I tried alsamixer and it sometime works. If
> it doesn't, I get the following error message:
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
>
> I have tried this on the following kernels:
> 2.6.16.16
> 2.6.16.24
> 2.6.17.3
> 2.6.18-rc1
>
> 2.6.18-rc1 seemed to work the best, but the Nvidia drivers will not
> compile under that version. It give the error that it can't identify
> the version of the kernel.
>
> Any ideas or solutions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Did you do a make modules modules_install after you compiled the kernel
and ran lilo?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: aeschere on
Yes, I did a make modules_install. Late today, I discovered that I
needed to move my ethernet card and the Audigy card to two different
ports. This did the trick. Apparently, I was getting some resource
conflicts (message showed up very early in the boot process - I missed
it the other times). Thanks for your help.

Mike

From: chuckcar on

> Yes, I did a make modules_install. Late today, I discovered that I
> needed to move my ethernet card and the Audigy card to two different
> ports. This did the trick. Apparently, I was getting some resource
> conflicts (message showed up very early in the boot process - I missed
> it the other times). Thanks for your help.

BTW and for other posters with that card, The sound how-to makes
reference to an opensource driver at: http://opensource.creative.com/

this is mentioned here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO/x96.html

in section 3.4.5.

As with all linux setups - *always* read the howto about the hardware
giving you trouble *first*.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: joseph2k on
aeschere wrote:

> Yes, I did a make modules_install. Late today, I discovered that I
> needed to move my ethernet card and the Audigy card to two different
> ports. This did the trick. Apparently, I was getting some resource
> conflicts (message showed up very early in the boot process - I missed
> it the other times). Thanks for your help.
>
> Mike
> chuckcar wrote:
>> aeschere <aeschere(a)nospam.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I have replaced my SB Live! with an SB Audigy SE. I am running Fedora
>>> Core 5. My problem is that my machine locks up in X (xorg) when I
>>> enable the sound system. I tried alsamixer and it sometime works. If
>>> it doesn't, I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
>>> directory
>>>
>>> I have tried this on the following kernels:
>>> 2.6.16.16
>>> 2.6.16.24
>>> 2.6.17.3
>>> 2.6.18-rc1
>>>
>>> 2.6.18-rc1 seemed to work the best, but the Nvidia drivers will not
>>> compile under that version. It give the error that it can't identify
>>> the version of the kernel.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or solutions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Did you do a make modules modules_install after you compiled the kernel
>> and ran lilo?

artsd is known to interfere with alsa and sound in general. try
artsd --suspend
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.