Prev: ELS 2010
Next: TPS
From: Bata on
Hello,
I am just learning to perform profiling on SBCL, and the statistical
profiler, when run on my program, returns statistics on 2 different
kinds of "+" (Addition) functions.
There is one entry for sb-kernel:two-arg-+ and there is another entry
for sb-vm::generic-+. I have tried looking for the differences between
the two, but have so far been unsuccessful.
Could someone provide me with a link for these (And other) SBCL
functions? I tried looking in the manual, but didn't see any heading in
there that seems close to what I am looking for.

Thank you,
Bata
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:08:36 -0500, Bata wrote:

> Hello,
> I am just learning to perform profiling on SBCL, and the statistical
> profiler, when run on my program, returns statistics on 2 different
> kinds of "+" (Addition) functions.
> There is one entry for sb-kernel:two-arg-+ and there is another entry
> for sb-vm::generic-+. I have tried looking for the differences between
> the two, but have so far been unsuccessful.
> Could someone provide me with a link for these (And other) SBCL
> functions? I tried looking in the manual, but didn't see any heading in
> there that seems close to what I am looking for.

Have you tried your IDE's source lookup facilities? (of course you
need SBCL's sources on your system). Eg in Emacs, M-. on
sb-kernel:two-arg-+ takes me to (two-arg-+/- two-arg-+ + add-bignums),
above that is the macro used to define the operation.

That said, I have rarely needed to look at the source of these things in
SBCL. Profiling, benchmarking and compiler hints [which you can get with
(declaim (optimize (speed 3))), or similar declarations for individual
functions] would be the first things I consider.

HTH,

Tamas
From: Bata on
Tamas K Papp wrote:

> Have you tried your IDE's source lookup facilities? (of course you
> need SBCL's sources on your system). Eg in Emacs, M-. on
> sb-kernel:two-arg-+ takes me to (two-arg-+/- two-arg-+ + add-bignums),
> above that is the macro used to define the operation.
>
> That said, I have rarely needed to look at the source of these things in
> SBCL. Profiling, benchmarking and compiler hints [which you can get with
> (declaim (optimize (speed 3))), or similar declarations for individual
> functions] would be the first things I consider.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tamas

Thanks,
Bata