From: Patrick on
Hi.

We are at the limit of 75 Users and want to Migrate away from our old SBS
2003 Server to two new 2008 STD Server (one for Exchange 2010)

I have looked for infos how to do that correctly but i could not find any
good basis to start with.

Someone already accomplished that task?
From: Kerry Brown on
I recommend Server 2008 R2 over 2008. If you use Server 2008 make sure you
have SP2 or better installed before you try to install Exchange 2010.

I have done it. It was fairly straightforward. That said it was not easy.
There is a lot of conflicting information on the web. The basic procedure
is: Bring up a Server 2008 R2 domain controller. Leave it a few days to make
sure replication is working and AD is healthy. It's very important that AD
is very healthy before you move on from here. Fix all problems flagged by
the SBS BPA. Make sure both servers and Exchange 2003 are up to date with
updates and service packs. Run dcdiag against both DC's and make sure there
are no problems. Make sure there are no errors in the event logs of either
DC. Bring up the Exchange 2010 server and install Exchange 2010. Migrate
from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. Uninstall Exchange 2003 on the SBS
server. Demote the SBS server and remove it from the domain. The SBS 2003 to
SBS 2008 migration papers will help a lot. Read through the following links
and make sure you understand them before proceeding. Make a checklist before
starting. Expect that you will miss something on the checklist. Go slow,
watching the install and event logs along the way. The biggest problem I had
was figuring out how to request then import a certificate in Exchange 2010.
I highly recommend you purchase the needed certificate rather than use a
self signed certificate.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=52b7ea63-78af-4a96-811e-284f5c1de13b&displaylang=en>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2010/default.aspx#Home>

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=88b304e7-9912-4cb0-8ead-7479dab1abf2&displaylang=en>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124558.aspx>

<http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000234.htm>

You could save yourself a lot of grief and use http://www.sbsmigration.com/
They support this migration. If I was doing this again I'd use them even
though I've already done one migration myself. I had many false steps. Never
had to roll back but that was a distinct possibility a couple of times
during the migration. The migration took me almost a month of research then
trial and error. By their method it could have been done over a weekend. I
was migrating my own Exchange server. If it would have been a customer's
server I would not hesitate to use sbsmigration.com. It would be hard to
make any money by the trial and error method. It probably took me 25 hours
of actual work sitting in front of a computer that way.

Do you use other features of SBS 2003 like RWW and SharePoint? You will lose
those features so if you use them you will have to figure out how to migrate
SharePoint to SharePoint 2010 and an alternative for RWW like TS Gateway.

<http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/Pages/IT-Pro-Training-Guide.aspx>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731264(WS.10).aspx>

--
Kerry Brown