From: Stroller on
Hi there,

A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would
be well served by SBS 2008.

They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work-
related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty
much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is
essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote
desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc
basis.

I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users
isn't available on SBS, but I appreciate Terminal Services much better than
Remote Web Workplace (which I've never used). My impression of Remote Web
Workplace is that it's a mickey-mouse version of Terminal Services. Is this
unfair?

I had the impression that there was a version of SBS which came with an
additional license allowing you to install a second copy of Windows Server
on a second machine for the purposes of running Terminal Services. But I
don't see that mentioned here [1], for example. I'm afraid I'm getting
confused by all the information.

Is Terminal Services permitted on a second server in a domain managed by
SBS? What's the score with licensing on this, please? If we were to buy only
the most basic version of SBS in the first instance, would it then be more
expensive to upgrade later?

Thanks for any comments,

Stroller.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/compare-features.aspx
From: Jim Behning SBS MVP on
SBS 2008 Premium comes with a second server license. You can do
whatever you want on the second server including setting it up as a
terminal server.

RWW lets you access your workstation. Nothing Mickey Mouse about it.
It is the same as terminal services except a workstation is set to
allow only one connection to it, either physically sitting in front of
it or using remote desktop/RWW. A server set to do terminal services
lets many people access it concurrently assuming you have purchased
the terminal services cals. It is the same process/protocol. Note that
they have changed the name of the terminal services cals Remote
Desktop Services cals. You need a RDS cal for every user that works on
the TS. If you want to use Office on the TS you need to by licenses
for every user that is going to use Office. Sometimes it is much
cheaper to let them reach their desktop which does not require cals or
additional copies of Office.

One joy of SBS is you buy a cal for the user and you can add as many
servers to the domain and you do not need to buy additional cals for
the user. Of course they have standard cals and premium cals for
confusion.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:55:17 +0000, Stroller <joe.stroller(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would
>be well served by SBS 2008.
>
>They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work-
>related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty
>much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is
>essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote
>desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc
>basis.
>
>I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users
>isn't available on SBS, but I appreciate Terminal Services much better than
>Remote Web Workplace (which I've never used). My impression of Remote Web
>Workplace is that it's a mickey-mouse version of Terminal Services. Is this
>unfair?
>
>I had the impression that there was a version of SBS which came with an
>additional license allowing you to install a second copy of Windows Server
>on a second machine for the purposes of running Terminal Services. But I
>don't see that mentioned here [1], for example. I'm afraid I'm getting
>confused by all the information.
>
>Is Terminal Services permitted on a second server in a domain managed by
>SBS? What's the score with licensing on this, please? If we were to buy only
>the most basic version of SBS in the first instance, would it then be more
>expensive to upgrade later?
>
>Thanks for any comments,
>
>Stroller.
>

>[1] http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/compare-features.aspx
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Hi Stroller:

SBS 2008 premium includes a second copy of Windows Server 2008 and a copy
of SQL Server for Small Business (which is SQL server, but the name is specific
to this purpose). it is a wonderful addition to an SBS domain, but you don't
have to use the Premium version to do TS. Any Server 2008 will work.

As far as RWW on SBS "micky mouse version", it ain't so. It is better than
straight RDP in many ways, security being one, the ability to control who
can connect to what boxes inside the domain is another. RWW is a web app
that modifies access so that the forwarding ports on the edge device do not
limit the access to other boxes on the LAN.

But it gets better. TS Gateway works a champ. I suggest you get a copy
of one of the books on SBS, either Charlie Russel, or Eriq Neal's books come
to mind and read them. SBS is a great product for its market segment.

I can go on, but you should really read the book.

For a place to start, with basic info and part numbers:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Nothing "mickey mouse" about RWW - it's a full featured and very efficient
way to provide remote access to your network and its resources. If the goal
is to provide access to existing resources remotely, then there's really
nothing better and you have the option of securing it even further with
third party addons such as AuthAnvil and RWWGuard from ScorpionSoft to do
two factor authentication. RWW will give your users full access to their
desktops inside your network without additional CALs.

Adding a Terminal Server to SBS 2008 is fairly easy. If you buy SBS Premium,
it comes with a second Windows Server license that you can use to run a
Terminal Server (along with a copy of SQL Server). Or you can simply buy
Windows Server 2008 directly and enable the Terminal Server roles. (Or, if
you're using Server 2008 R2, the RDS roles. ) You can directly integrate
TS/RDS functionality into both RWW and into the Companyweb SharePoint site
if you want, regardless of the origin of the TS server. However, a caveat --
you need TS CALs for each user (or device if you use device CALs) that
connects to the terminal server. For that CAL, however, you get features you
can't get from a simple remote desktop session to an XP/Vista/Win7
workstation, including TS RemoteApps.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel