From: F on
I have some 'Kingston Elite Pro 50x' 2GB SD cards and am struggling to
get a definitive answer on whether they are faster or slower than SDHC
Class 6 cards.

Anyone care to offer an opinion? I've not been able to get a clear
answer from Kingston.

From: Ofnuts on
On 30/05/2010 21:22, F wrote:
> I have some 'Kingston Elite Pro 50x' 2GB SD cards and am struggling to
> get a definitive answer on whether they are faster or slower than SDHC
> Class 6 cards.
>
> Anyone care to offer an opinion? I've not been able to get a clear
> answer from Kingston.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital>

Class 6 is the new name of 40x. The class number of more less the data
write rate in Mbytes/sec, whereas the NNx designation refers to the old
150KBytes/sec used for CD-ROM drives.

--
Bertrand
From: F on
On 30/05/2010 20:39 Ofnuts wrote:

> See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital>

Thanks, I had seen that but had doubted my understanding as the 50x card
seems unable to record HD video on my Powershot SX1 at a fast enough
rate despite Canon specifying Class 6 cards.

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:02:07 +0100, F <news(a)nowhere> wrote in
<lI-dnc-Ct9sLWZ_RnZ2dnUVZ8t-dnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>:

>On 30/05/2010 20:39 Ofnuts wrote:
>
>> See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital>
>
>Thanks, I had seen that but had doubted my understanding as the 50x card
>seems unable to record HD video on my Powershot SX1 at a fast enough
>rate despite Canon specifying Class 6 cards.

Unless otherwise specified an advertised speed in X usually refers only
to the *read* speed, and the *write* speed can be much lower.
Class speeds are *different* in that they are minimum *write* speeds.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: DanP on
On May 30, 9:02 pm, F <news(a)nowhere> wrote:
> On 30/05/2010 20:39 Ofnuts wrote:
>
> > See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital>
>
> Thanks, I had seen that but had doubted my understanding as the 50x card
> seems unable to record HD video on my Powershot SX1 at a fast enough
> rate despite Canon specifying Class 6 cards.

If you have CHDK there is a Benchmark in Debug menu.
It measures the real read and write speeds for the card in the camera.

If you don't have it then have a look. It is a bit nerdy but you will
find something useful in it.

DanP