From: Zoran Kolic on
I have a question regarding SD card, which should be used to
upgrade firmware on ebook reader. I assume there will be just
one try before bricking the device.
The card should be formatted as ext3, followed with copying
untarred files to it. At first, I did not formatted it again,
since it was brand new card. I made ext3 partition and piped
untarred files directly to the card (usb card reader). After
a while, brain worm started to move and ask if I should do
explicite format first. Does it matter at all?
Try to mount SD card as vfat failed, as ext3 succeeded. Should
I repeat steps with fdisk first anyway?
Best regards

Zoran

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 07:53:13 +0200, Zoran Kolic wrote:

> I have a question regarding SD card, which should be used to upgrade
> firmware on ebook reader. I assume there will be just one try before
> bricking the device.

Do you have a link to the firmware upgrade instructions so we can review
the full process and the required steps?

> The card should be formatted as ext3, followed with copying untarred
> files to it.

Ext3 is not very common under windows/mac systems and Fat32 tend to be
the norm for these devices. Are you sure the SD card has to be formatted
using ext3?

> At first, I did not formatted it again, since it was brand
> new card. I made ext3 partition and piped untarred files directly to the
> card (usb card reader). After a while, brain worm started to move and
> ask if I should do explicite format first. Does it matter at all?

SD cards come from factory with Fat32, so I would reformat the SD card
with ext3, just in case :-?

> Try to mount SD card as vfat failed, as ext3 succeeded. Should I repeat
> steps with fdisk first anyway? Best regards

Maybe the error comes from another place. Are you getting any message or
warning on the e-book when trying to perform the firmware upgrade?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 7/31/2010 12:53 AM, Zoran Kolic wrote:
> I have a question regarding SD card, which should be used to
> upgrade firmware on ebook reader. I assume there will be just
> one try before bricking the device.
> The card should be formatted as ext3, followed with copying
> untarred files to it. At first, I did not formatted it again,
> since it was brand new card. I made ext3 partition and piped
> untarred files directly to the card (usb card reader). After
> a while, brain worm started to move and ask if I should do
> explicite format first. Does it matter at all?
> Try to mount SD card as vfat failed, as ext3 succeeded. Should
> I repeat steps with fdisk first anyway?
> Best regards

What error does it get when you mount it via command line? Is this an
Android based E-Reader? Or better yet, who makes the E-Reader and why
are they not doing firmware upgrades via the memory in the device if
it's public facing?

> Do you have a link to the firmware upgrade instructions so we can review
> the full process and the required steps?

Mixing answers to save space.

Kobo ereader. They tend to upgrade using win desktop app
over usb adapter. Some canadian stores got SD card to un-
brick devices after failed upgrade. Image is not "regular"
one, but has 100% of success.

> Ext3 is not very common under windows/mac systems and Fat32 tend to be
> the norm for these devices. Are you sure the SD card has to be formatted
> using ext3?

Yes.

> SD cards come from factory with Fat32, so I would reformat the SD card
> with ext3, just in case :-?

I did. I simply made "mkfs.ext3 /dev/whatever".
No fdisk first. That is the question I ask. Do I need that
fdisk first or not?

> Maybe the error comes from another place. Are you getting any message or
> warning on the e-book when trying to perform the firmware upgrade?

It should be normal to not be able to mount vfat partition
as ext3 one. I expected an error and I got it. So far. so good.
Mounting as ext3 was fine.

> What error does it get when you mount it via command line? Is this an
> Android based E-Reader? Or better yet, who makes the E-Reader and why
> are they not doing firmware upgrades via the memory in the device if
> it's public facing?

Intended for people not willing to use anything but win, I suppose.
SD card method is not "public", but used to overcome pretty strange
policy: go to the store on another continent and upgrade. Or install
win and upgrade. And brick and go to another continent.

My fear was: have I missed fdisk for bad? I think upgrade procedure
first mounts the card. If not, why it should be ext3 anyway?
Best regards and thanx to all.

Zoran

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:34:52 +0200, Zoran Kolic wrote:

>> Do you have a link to the firmware upgrade instructions so we can
>> review the full process and the required steps?
>
> Mixing answers to save space.
>
> Kobo ereader. They tend to upgrade using win desktop app over usb
> adapter. Some canadian stores got SD card to un- brick devices after
> failed upgrade. Image is not "regular" one, but has 100% of success.

Did they provide any instructions on how to proceed with the upgrade?

>> Ext3 is not very common under windows/mac systems and Fat32 tend to be
>> the norm for these devices. Are you sure the SD card has to be
>> formatted using ext3?
>
> Yes.

Mmm, okay :-)

>> SD cards come from factory with Fat32, so I would reformat the SD card
>> with ext3, just in case :-?
>
> I did. I simply made "mkfs.ext3 /dev/whatever". No fdisk first. That is
> the question I ask. Do I need that fdisk first or not?

As root, "fdisk -l /dev/sdx" ("sdx" → adjust it to point the SD device)
and check what it says.

"fdisk" is for creating partitions and I suppose there must be already
one created for the SD card, if not, you had experiencing problems for
mounting (and accesisng) to its contents which doesn't seem to be the
case.

>> Maybe the error comes from another place. Are you getting any message
>> or warning on the e-book when trying to perform the firmware upgrade?
>
> It should be normal to not be able to mount vfat partition as ext3 one.
> I expected an error and I got it. So far. so good. Mounting as ext3 was
> fine.

Yes, but I was referring when you click any button/option to proceed with
the "upgrade". Did you get any error? What steps did you follow (you
inserted the SD card with the required files on it, and then... what
happened)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón